Reintroducing a hen

Mandee297

Songster
Jun 30, 2020
Southern New Jersey
Hi all
Our pullet who is the only layer right now has become extremely feisty. One hen in particular has become the target of her aggression. I often try to let them work it out - but once I see blood it’s game over. Lulu (the layer) pecked out snowballs comb so much it was bleeding several days ago . We have been rehabbing her in the garage and she looks much better.
today I let her free range with the other three hens... and to my surprise now SHE is being aggressive. Jumping on the other girls backs and pecking. And keeping to herself. The only one she still backs down from is the initial bully who caused her injury.
I put her back in garage but want to integrate her back sooner than later. She looks close to laying, too.
one image shows initial injury and the other shows improvement. Been treating with avian antibiotic spray.
Any tips appreciated. I fear the longer she is isolated the harder it will be.

Attachments

• B6AE972C-AA60-42CE-A2AC-2D7E3408E57C.jpeg
    B6AE972C-AA60-42CE-A2AC-2D7E3408E57C.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2B1A367B-F89E-4ECD-AF9F-7AA9309EF1E0.jpeg
    2B1A367B-F89E-4ECD-AF9F-7AA9309EF1E0.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 11
Comb injuries can be expected when there are clashes in the pecking order. And comb injuries can bleed a lot and appear much more serious than they really are.

However, when one hen jumps onto another one's back and pecks away at the back of her head, that needs intervention. Now, here's another "however". You may be prolonging the conflict by intervening too much. These hens need to work through this conflict to get to the resolution which is that each hen needs to agree to which one will be dominant. After they reach that point, things should be peaceful.

I suggest you let these two duke it out, standing by to intervene only if one jumps onto the other one's back, just push her off, and stand by to see if things continue as before. If these two can't come to an agreement, one needs to go. Rehome or butcher or separate during the day.

Comb injuries can be expected when there are clashes in the pecking order. And comb injuries can bleed a lot and appear much more serious than they really are.

However, when one hen jumps onto another one's back and pecks away at the back of her head, that needs intervention. Now, here's another "however". You may be prolonging the conflict by intervening too much. These hens need to work through this conflict to get to the resolution which is that each hen needs to agree to which one will be dominant. After they reach that point, things should be peaceful.

I suggest you let these two duke it out, standing by to intervene only if one jumps onto the other one's back, just push her off, and stand by to see if things continue as before. If these two can't come to an agreement, one needs to go. Rehome or butcher or separate during the day.
Thanks so much for your feedback. They used to all get along pretty well! I will move her back in tomorrow and keep an eye out, but let them hopefully work through this.

Attachments

• 85D005CA-0CE2-4EFC-A91B-4E0D377044A2.jpeg
    85D005CA-0CE2-4EFC-A91B-4E0D377044A2.jpeg
    922.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 39E47BC0-8746-4C47-8F49-5AE2D0161A3C.jpeg
    39E47BC0-8746-4C47-8F49-5AE2D0161A3C.jpeg
    727 KB · Views: 8
EAE62840-9AAB-4EE4-9182-2CF6E7B3D320.jpeg
You guys I don’t get these birds. The olive egger is the initial bully. She’s already picked snowballs comb and there’s a little blood! Trying to stand back. But snowvball doesn’t leave! She keeps insisting on dust bathing with her!

Sounds like they are well on their way to working it out. It may require a little more roughness before it's entirely settled. It's the way things go sometimes in Chicken World.
I am a mush lol. This part of chicken world is rough lololol. It appears she is a sadomasochist LOL

95450D8D-042D-4063-A84E-56D0FE4683A1.jpeg

Hi everyone. I figured I would start here since you we have a thread and you know the little lady’s background. She is back in the flock but there is def tension still. No blood or anything thankfully. She has finally begun to lay but her first two eggs have been almost miscolored and this one today didn’t have a hard shell. She always wants out of the run and to be by herself it seems. But trying to let them work it out. They have access to oyster shells. Should I be worried about her eggs or will this also work itself out. Two other hens are laying and their eggs are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom