Reintroducing pecked chick...did not go well

I got 5 RIR pullets in my last order of rainbow layers, and they picked on everyone constantly. I HATED them! I expect the cockerels would be even worse. I'll never have hatchery RIR's again. I sold the girls, and my flock calmed down and the picking stopped.

I say, separate the stupid red roos...

I agree with jossanne. I'd try to stop the bad behavior from the Roos or get rid of them. I have RIR's. I have only had a couple of hens that gave me a problem when I was introducing the pullets. I had a couple of hens, one in particular, that were on top of some of my pullets pecking at them and pulling out feathers. I was worried that the one hens in particular was going to really hurt the pullets. Each time I saw this behavior I separated them for a few days and put them in my chicken jail. I tried putting them back in with the rest of the flock and one would still continue the bad behavior. Back in jail and after a few days I would put her back with the flock. One day I saw of the aggressive hens jump on a pullet. She was concentrating on hurting the pullet she didn't even realize I was there. There just happened to be a hose near by. I picked up the hose and squirted her with water which startled her and sent her running into the coop. It took her by such surprise that she stayed in the coop for quite awhile. I had to do it a few times. She has stopped the aggression. The hose is still laying there where she can see it. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

Last edited:
Well, I ended up bringing in another chick into the brooder, so the wounded one wouldn't be so lonely. After a few days she became quite brave and was picking at the other chick. So, I decided it was time to move her back in the coop. The roos started to pick at her, but she stood her ground, flew at them, picked at them a few times and they ended up leaving her alone.

So far so good
big_smile.png
You guys are so right about getting rid of the roos. They are causing way too much ruckus in the coop. My dh returns from home Thursday & we're going to get rid of them on Friday. I am, however, going to keep one of the RIR. "It" may be a pullet, as he/she looks a little different in body shape & her comb is not as pronounced as the others...so we'll see! Thanks for all the tips
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom