Reintroducing to the flock

thehooleyfamily

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
Hello all! I have a chicken that was injured by our rooster and was missing the back of her head when I found her hiding in the coop! I have separated her from the rest of the flock for almost two weeks and she's healing very well thanks to all the advice I've found on BYC! I put her in a dog crate inside the coop at night and she has a dog kennel just outside the run all day. I have two questions - do I need to wait for her feathers to completely grow back and cover the scar before I reintroduce her to the flock? And has she been close enough to the rest of the flock that they will hopefully be accepting to her when we reintroduce her? Thanks in advance for your advice!

How bad does the scar look at this point? Sometimes chickens will see red and pick at it is my concern. Blu-kote is a good way to stop this behavior.

I would keep her separated until it's healed enough that it isn't a pecking risk. Keeping them where they can see the flock, and be seen, as you are doing makes it much easier to reintegrate. Once you think she's ready, let her out under supervision to see how it goes, so you can step in if needed. I had a similar injury, the scab was very thick. Once there was no redness visible I let her back with the flock and all was well. Every flock is different. Picture below of how it looked at 4 or 5 weeks, feathers just starting to grow.
headwound.jpg

How bad does the scar look at this point? Sometimes chickens will see red and pick at it is my concern. Blu-kote is a good way to stop this behavior.
The feathers seem to be growing back over the scar, but it's still pretty visible. I need to pick up some blu-kote as I've seen this referenced in multiple posts! I don't want to rush putting her back, but I also feel sorry for her being alone. I've attached some photos so you can see how it looks... I think she's progressing very well because it was a 2" square when I found her.

Attachments

• chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 9
I would throw some blu-kote on there and see if she reintegrates. Of course, stay with her for about an hour or so to make sure everyone is being civil. Fortunately with your see-but-not-touch setup, reintegration shouldn't be too hard.

It looks pretty good. Blu kote may be effective for this.
Beware it stains. And when putting it on a head, if she shakes, it will get flung everywhere. Do it outside, with gloves and clothes you don't like - ask me how I learned this...:lau
I put it on an injured comb in my spare bathroom once. Bird shook it's head, purple spots everywhere, floor ceiling, walls, me.

It looks pretty good. Blu kote may be effective for this.
Beware it stains. And when putting it on a head, if she shakes, it will get flung everywhere. Do it outside, with gloves and clothes you don't like - ask me how I learned this...:lau
I put it on an injured comb in my spare bathroom once. Bird shook it's head, purple spots everywhere, floor ceiling, walls, me.
That is VERY GOOD advice! LOL!!!!

Back
Top Bottom