Reject Hatching Eggs - aka "The Undesirable Egg Experiment"

Since the eggs were not shipped you will likely have a good hatch if the eggs are fertile.

Best wishes for the cracked egg!

That would be fantastic! Definitely no shipping trauma beyond driving down bumpy dirt roads in the country, lol. This may completely change my tendency for being super picky when setting hatching eggs! My new motto will be, "Every egg deserves a chance!" lol
flower dance.gif

So I'm technically only on day 2.5 but I wanted to take a peek at the questionable eggs. It's difficult to see in the images but I'm seeing development in 3 out of 4, including the cracked egg! I will candle the whole batch in a few days before deciding if Lumpy is actually infertile. Crackles will have the real test in the long run! :fl

2-23-20 Day 2.5.jpg

Hm. I wonder what it was. Could it have been sap from a pine tree or something? Or was it actually like a glue? I guess the only thing that would really harm it would be if some got in the pores :confused: This will be really interesting to follow. Thanks for trying this!

Hm. I wonder what it was. Could it have been sap from a pine tree or something? Or was it actually like a glue? I guess the only thing that would really harm it would be if some got in the pores :confused: This will be really interesting to follow. Thanks for trying this!

Your guess is as good as mine, lol!

Thanks for following along :highfive:. These experiments are way more fun when others share their thoughts and experiences as well.

The sticky stuff is most likely egg white. I've gotten many a store egg carton that I had to pry the egg out of it, and it was because it had leaked in there. Now, whether a previous egg leaked in this carton or whether the one you set did the leaking will be interesting to find out.

I usually will set misfits if I have the room. Haven't set a cracked one yet, but plenty of overly porous and extra calcium ones, they usually do a bit worse than ideal but not too bad.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom