Reject Hatching Eggs - aka "The Undesirable Egg Experiment"

Pics
These are multi generation Olive Eggers. My friend has been working on her flock of Olive Eggers for years and while she does get the occasional olive egg that is a brownish olive she seems to consistently get shades of green from her flock. It requires breeding back to Marans lines from the desired olive egg hens and then eventually you can have a rooster that hatched from an olive egg over olive hens that produce chicks that predominantly lay olive eggs. I don't know all of her specifics, I just know she's been doing it a long time. We're talking 3rd-4th-5th generations before you have a flock with more consistent results but that's part of the fun with raising Olive Eggers! Surprise egg colors! I'm still hoping for the elusive Avocado green egg one day!
Cool

Any more popped out yet @CluckNDoodle ?

Yes! I walked away and finished some chores and missed all the action! 2 more hatched for a total of 5 hatched and 5 still pipped!

Both oblong eggs hatched without issues and 1 porous egg so far. The other porous egg and sticky are still taking their time. Looking back there were 7 undesirable eggs set because Crackles was both the cracked egg & the second egg with calcium build up. First calcium build up (lumpy) was infertile. So 5 out of 7 once these last two hatch from the misfits gang!

Back
Top Bottom