Reject Hatching Eggs - aka "The Undesirable Egg Experiment"

Pics
Thank you everyone for following along on my crazy experiment! When I woke up this morning the last two chicks had hatched overnight! So that gives me a 91% hatch rate overall!
Now that they're all dry, I think there are 6 Blue, 2 Splash, and 2 Black! :D I will update with fuzzy pictures later today!

A recap:

- Hatch 3/12/20: 91% (started with 12, 1 infertile, 1 quitter, 10 live chicks)

- Used Version 2 Nurture Right incubator, 99.5°F, 40-50% (usually 45%) humidity for the first 18 days, increased to 65% for hatch.

- A total of 7 of the original 12 eggs were "undesirable" and 5 hatched!
- 2 Oblong Eggs - Both Hatched!
- 2 Porous Eggs - Both Hatched!
- 1 Sticky Eggs (thought to be egg white leakage) - Hatched!
- 1 Calcium Build Up Egg - Clear/Infertile
- 1 Cracked Egg (repaired with wax) - Quitter on approximately day 15-17 due to bacteria or from the amount of wax needed to cover large crack preventing proper gas exchange.

So I thought I would try for a St. Patty's Day flare for the pictures and they were all over the place and not having it. :lau I'll try again later, lol! But here's the result. :lol:

3-13-20 (1).JPG
3-13-20 (3).JPG

So I thought I would try for a St. Patty's Day flare for the pictures and they were all over the place and not having it. :lau I'll try again later, lol! But here's the result. :lol:

View attachment 2050501View attachment 2050503
So stinking cute! Thank you for sharing. I’m just getting geared up for my first hatch ever and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching this. Makes me feel slightly less nervous about my adventure. My kids loved seeing the pics also. Thanks again and congrats!

So stinking cute! Thank you for sharing. I’m just getting geared up for my first hatch ever and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching this. Makes me feel slightly less nervous about my adventure. My kids loved seeing the pics also. Thanks again and congrats!

I'm so glad you enjoyed watching the hatch and good luck with your hatch as well!! :highfive:

AWESOME!!!! So cute! I love them! Congrats on the great colors!!!

Thanks! I talked to my friend this morning and she reminded me that I gave her a colorful Olive Egger hen so that's likely where that little brown/blue chick came from, lol! I'm quite the ditz sometimes. :lol: She also said the yellow chicks may have EE type patterns instead of splash so it will be fun to see how these babies grow out! I'm going to be giving my broody hen 4 chicks tonight and the other 6 are going to their new home later this afternoon. Now I have to pick which one's I'm keeping! :th

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom