Rejected chick

niajk

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2022
Hi all,
I had a broody hen hatch out three chicks yesterday. She seems to have taken well to two of them but has pecked at the other one (it was the first one to hatch so possobly she panicked as she’s a first time mama?)
It has some quite large wounds near the eyes, the eyes themselves look ok and the wounds have dried and look clean. I have it indoors under heat at the moment as I’m too nervous to try putting it back in. It’s eating and drinking well.
I have had broodies raise chicks a few times but not had this problem before. I don’t know if I’m doing more harm keeping it on it’s own, or what to do for the best really!
Any advice would be appreciated please!

Baby chick is doing well and injuries healing…

Attachments

• DB022D18-354D-41A6-AB19-5EBCC3066A66.png
    DB022D18-354D-41A6-AB19-5EBCC3066A66.png
    4 MB · Views: 5
I'd have done the same - if she attacked the chick, there's definitely a risk that she could do so again. You're probably already aware that hens will sometimes attack a chick if they sense that something may be wrong with it, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what you described.

While it's not ideal, a chick can be raised alone (a mirror helps a lot, but a friend is even better 🙂). Once it's older and larger, you should be able to integrate it back into the flock.

What a rough start for the little one. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your chick!

Back
Top Bottom