Release of Bob Whites

kgeorge

Songster
14 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Beech Creek, PA
I have two-month-old bobwhites and am thinking about releasing them into the wild. I live in PA. How old should they be to do that. Do I need to acclimatize them to the wild first? If so, how? Thanks...

I'm under the impression that this is illegal (the release of captive raised/bred birds, including native species and gamebirds) unless its on private property with permission for hunting/training ???

what is the purpose of you releasing them? Most who hunt and train with bobs raise them so they never associate with humans (feeding/watering/cleaning at night when they are sleeping and have poor night vision)

I live on 28 acres. I believe it is legal here....I'll check into that, though. I don't know what else to do with them. The eggs came with my incubator and were my first experience with incubating anything. I've been reading in this forum that bobwhites are very difficult to raise and will fight with each other.

Quote:
There is no rule that says one can't EAT a two month old bob... While they will get bigger,But there tasty when small too.
lau.gif
Bill

If the Bob's are not raised in flight pen's specialy designed for flight conditioning of wild game birds they won't survive in the wild. I also think that regulations are fairly strict in regards to releasing domesticly raised birds into the wild.

It is illegal to release any caged raised quail in the wild as it endangers the native species of quail in the area. Your birds could have genetic defects or disease that could kill off what few wild Bobwhites are left in your area.

Pen raised Bobwhites will probably not survive but a few nights due to predation, lack of water or starvation. You will be sending them off to their deaths.

We have 12 quail that we purchased as adults last fall, I haven't seen them fight much. But I take care of them and leave them be. We have them to train the Pointers.

They have been laying eggs for almost 2 months, and they have laid about 110 eggs so far. 40 of which have come out of the incubator with only 11 live hatches. Not sure where we went wrong, humidity in the brooder is the likely culprit. So we are hatching in the incubator now, hoping to get more live hatches from the 70 that are left.

I also thought maybe we could release some, but after reading this... I guess not! I wouldn't want to endanger any of the wild ones that might be around.

Good luck figuring out what to do with them!

Back
Top Bottom