Releasing my Mallard...mixed emotions

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
On June 12, 2009 I hatched my "Miracle Mallards". Their mother was killed by a Fox a few towns over so I rescued, and incubated them. It was a miracle that they even survived. They had been left out in the freezing cold for over 2 nights. Miraculously they survived the cold, and three amazing little ducklings hatched! Sadly two died at exactly two weeks old, and one survived. I was worried about the one surviving and growing up alone. Especially since these Mallards were supposed to be released back into the wild. Surprisingly the one left, a beautiful female named Beauty did a really good job being alone. She never showed any signs of distress. She had been living in her house in my garage, and was very skiddish. I kept my distance so that she wouldn't get attached to me, and especially me not attached to her.

Ever since the day the Mallards hatched I could tell that these ducks were different. They had instincts that my domesticated ducklings I hatched exactly two months before did not. They were fast runners, and they could jump really high. The night they hatched I laid them next to me, and they would hide and sleep in my hair. I knew that this would be the only time I could cuddle them.

Four days ago I moved her outside next to the duck coop. I couldn't put her in the coop because the male Crested Pekin tried to bite her twice when I introduced her to them. I live off a large pond/small lake so I released her Saturday afternoon. She swam around but then started wandering through the grass. I didn't think she was ready so I put her back in her cage. I repeated this every day since Saturday. Today when I opened the cage door she flew out the door and all the way to the middle of the pond! I had seen her fly before but never this far! I figured she was now ready to leave so I left her out there. Once again she started wandering around the grass, confused yet curious. This time unlike the others she wandered up on the other side of the pond. She walked into the sunset, and I haven't spotted her since.

I know that she can fly so I'm not worried as much about predators now. Do you think she will come back to live in the pond, or is she most likely gone for good? I wish the best for her, but at the same time I also just want to make sure she is safe! I left her cage door open with food and water so that she knows she is welcome if she ever comes back. When she was wandering off alone I couldn't help but think of her siblings that didn't make it. The release would have been so much better if only she had someone with her. Its sad but she was always meant to be a wild duck. Im just worried she may someday face the same fate as her Mothers death.

Added to clarify: If it weren't for the natural wild instincts that she was born with, I would have never released her into the wild. There is a huge difference between my Pekins behavior and my Mallards behavior. Her instincts were the indication that she was meant to be wild, and that she would get exactly what she deserved.

I have more pics to add of her all feathered out, but here are a few for now....

SD536557.jpg

SD536638.jpg

SD536646.jpg

SD536533dd.jpg

This was the day they were born. They slept in my hair, or in my arms.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have released her. Just because she can fly does not mean she is 'wild'. She knows absolutely nothing about surviving on her own. She doesn't know how to eat (being used to getting 'fed'), she doesn't know where to sleep, so many things that she would have learned from her mother that she doesn't know.

You should never, ever release a captive-raised wild animal into the wild, they know nothing about being a wild animal.

If she isn't already gone to predators, I wouldn't hold out much hope for her. She might survive, but the odds are hugely stacked against her.

If you do see her, and can catch her, either keep her or give her to someone that will keep her and keep her safe.

I think you did the right thing. My ducks though they are fed, seem to know how to forage just fine, and prefer it as a matter of fact. What a wonderful act of love and kindness you gave to the mallard. I don't know if she will come back as I don't know anything about them, but I applaud your efforts to keep her wild and not form an attachment (though it seems like you formed one anyway
hugs.gif

They look beautiful and i think you could sell the last picture to a magazine.
i hope she will be good.

I think she will be fine as well. My ducks also forage very well even though they were penned until about a month ago when I started letting them out every morning. I imagine if they were free ranged all the time, they wouldn't need extra food from me, not really. As for predators, you can't help that, it is what being wild is. If she needs you, I am sure she will find her way back.

I just love your pictures. You look so pretty. I really think she will be fine. I had a lone duck and i let her go on our pond, she had a mate within a couple of weeks and 2 months later had a dozen babies following her.

God gave them the natural ability to survive. You saved her life and raised her and let her go. Just as you should have. I cant stand to see ducks in a small yard with a small baby pool. I feel so sorry for the ducks. There is a neighbor down the road a few miles and she has 2 beautiful black swans, they have a swimming pool that can hardly fit one swan in. Their so called yard wouldnt be big enough for a little shihtzu to be happy in.

She is happy and probably already has found a mate to be with.

Awww... that is such a sweet story. I think you did the right thing too. And whatever happens to her, you will always know you gave her a great start in life.

Remember that we all have to die some day. Whether it's sooner or later is not up to us, all we can do is enjoy right now and not worry too much about tomorrow. Ducks, and most animals other than humans, are really good at that, so every day of life is a wonderful day for them. You have already given that mallard many beautiful days, and now she has the whole world to explore--maybe only for a few days, maybe for another five years--but in any event, she's not worrying about whether a predator will get her or where she will find her next meal. She just enjoys the moment. And she *will* find her next meal--as many domesticated ducks as I've seen foraging on ponds year-round, surviving sometimes for YEARS, I'm sure a mallard, even one raised in captivity, may be just fine.

Also, if she gets hungry enough she will come back to eat.
smile.png

You should continue to feed her. Even though she is released. Even wild raised birds that are being prepared for reintroduction are fed. By "free-ranging" her and feeding her, you are providing the opportunity for her to learn to forage, yet still providing feed. It also allows her the opportunity to join in with the local mallard population.

I "free-range" my mallards on our pond. They often attract wild mallards, sometimes even the wild mallards come up begging for a meal. If my mallards had the flight capabilities I'm sure they would have flown off with the other mallards.

To provide her with the best possible chance at survival, continue to feed her until she joins up with the local wild mallards and flies off. Then it's purely up to her.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom