relocated a coyote

Quote:
Any time i "relocate" a coyote, I notice that the carcus is relocated the next day. I am guessing that it is the pack eating their own.

BTW, a .308 ?, dang, you really wanted to give this one a BIG send off !!

I found a 6.5x55 1916 Mauser in a Pawn shop, paid 225 bucks for it, threw the beat up wood stock to a buddy, bought a synthetic stock for 90 bucks and threw a decent scope on it.

It makes a GREAT coyote rifle. Dang accurate and an easy shooter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/15239_swede2.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/15239_swede3.jpg

I am believing the swedes really did have their weaponalogy to perfection. This caliber has been around for well over a century.

this is what happens they eat each other and they are one of the preds that will eat possums I have done several necropsies to determine what they are eating ( stomach contents) so I know what to use for bait

i never move the dead coyotes everyone likes to eat them i am not hartless.
big_smile.png
i know the 308 is over kill but he was about 170 yards out an that is my only gun i keep a scope on.

Quote:
GOOD SHOT !!

One day a buddy brough his .35 whelen over to the farm to sight it in. He saw a ground hog/ muskrat on the bank of the lake and took aim. Geez, what a mess.

LOL, you shoot what you have. I tell ya, if the FBI ever needs to do forensics on the farm grounds, they are going to be just a bit confused. I think there is darn near every caliber rifle bullet in the ground around that lake.

Coyote are abundent down here. We also have big cats, bear and just too many loose dogs. I lost my red healer pup to the coyote a few years back. They are a cunning and persistant predator.

I am by no means a predator lover, but where I live the coyotes are not a problem. They raise their young on our hundred acre farm amongst all my critters and never take one for a meal. The original coyote in the post may have been out looking for injured or now homeless rabbits from the haying. We find that when we hay we unfortunately destroy the homes/protection of all kind of animal habitat. That includes rabbits, turkeys, deer(fawns are easy prey to a hay conditioner and baler, usually will survive a run-over with a rake) We have 100 acres and the rule is if you leave us alone we leave you alone. The coyotes eat the field mice from our property, and leave small narrow furrows when they do it, not like the pits our neighbors lab likes to dig in our pastures and hay fields that could bury an AC 706 in!!! The worst predators by far here are neighbor/stray dogs. I have learned to shoot first and ask questions later. Especially after the "pack" of black lab/rot mix dogs my neighbor "had" took down a pony foal and had the mare near death when I chased them off(after they came after me). The neighbors refuse to put up their killer dogs so the law here told me to shoot any dog that comes on our place and I catch killing, so when they are after my critters down they go. I find that my .22 pistol, aimed just right, takes down the biggest of them with no problem. Next would be opossums and raccoons. Then there is the cougar that the Department of Game and Wildlife turned loose at a state park over 40 miles away that relocated to our neck of the woods, but that is a whole 'nother story!!!! I would take 10 coyotes to every dog/coon/possum/cougar that I have to deal with!!! Guess we have been lucky with the coyotes and unlucky with all others!!!

Quote:
I have no fear of them merely trap and dispatch them we do not want them here they destroy too much wildlife. There have been more then a few cases of people trying to raise wild animals such as the one you show only to have their face half eaten when they matured and discovered it was still a wild animal, and not as tame as they thought. I have seen a pack of yotes kill bambi and his mother. Every one I get to is put on a fur stretcher
smile.png

I will refuse to feel bad when I bring a coyote down. If any of you have live in a "coyote run" you know what I speak of. Where i used to live, my neighbor and a few other friends would get into a blind and shoot as many of the critters as we could.

One day, perhaps some one on here will wake up to the carnage these guys can cause.

I guess the bad thing about them is that when they are in a pack and running, they are darn near fearless. It is pretty frightening to be up close (as we where in the blind) amd watching them run. It ain't lke they were a bunch of pups running for dinner, these guys are serious.

Back
Top Bottom