Relocating a broody muscovy and her eggs?

kimwg

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 5, 2018
My second question to the duck forum in a day!

I have five muscovy ducks that sleep in a fenced in yard and free range during the day. The last few days we;ve noticed one of the hens missing at night even though we would spot her during the day at times, and suspected she might be sitting on eggs. Sure enough, she has a little nest of 3-4 eggs in some dense vegetation by the house. She would only have been sitting on them for a few days.

If we relocate the nest inside of their fenced yard, would she keep sitting or might she abandon them? I would prefer for her to be in the fenced area for protection from predators (although in terms of dangerous places, around the corner from the back door is better than almost anyplace else on the farm -- but still risky).

I've relocated chicken nests successfully by putting mom + eggs into a dog crate, but I'm not sure how it would go with a duck.

Is there any chance of building a small coop/pen that by placed over her that could be closed up at night? I have never successfully moved a setting duck hen.

Yeah, not really... On the plus side, she's right up against the house so not as high risk to predators as the occasional hen who has gone broody in dense vegetation by the canal only to never return. However, the coyotes and other predators have been kicking our butt this year after many years with virtually no predation. I mainly blame the guineas, which decided to sleep wherever and not return to their fenced in area, making themselves irresistible targets. They are dumb in small numbers, but somehow have negative IQ in larger groups. For a while I had to go out before sunset and chase the remainder around so they would stay someplace where hungry animals wouldn't gobble them up.

I have been able to move a Muscovy once hatching starts. But that is the only time it has worked for me. If I had one trying to brood outside I'd have to take her eggs and place them inside with her. So she would be safe. If she didn't get back on the eggs then I take the eggs and toss. But at least the duck is not sitting where she can be easily taken. And eggs eaten.

Back
Top Bottom