Relocating trapped critters. How far away???

Renthorin

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Dexter Michigan
I have several live traps, hoping to catch anything that might be prowling the area around the chickens.

I've caught two chipmonks, one ground squirrel, and one possum to date.

I take them about 2 miles down the road and dump them in a huge nature preserve area.

My friend told me they would be back in a day. I've never heard of the "homing chipmonk" but maybe they exist
smile.png

Anyone have experience with relocating critters and how far away to take them?

Will

You should check into your local/state laws. Here in Ohio it is illegal to 'rehome' some animals. Raccoons for sure, maybe possum. The idea is that some animals transmit rabies, and relocating them spreads the disease further.

First of all, did you check with your wildlife regulations and make sure it was legal to relocate something to the nature preserve? They might be working on a preservation program that putting certain animals into the habitat would harm the program. If it is legal, 2 miles is probably not enough, especially if it is really dry in the area. The animals will roam around and look for food available. And if you have water and food these animals have the ability to "home in" on an area just like dogs. I would consider moving them farther away.

In many states (oregon is the only exception I can think of), to relocate an animal is illegial. If youcatch a non-target animal you can let it go on property, but once you take it elsewhere it's "transporting wildlife" and DNr doesn't care if you're trying to move it or poaching out of season, it's the same to them.the Opossium should be put down, it;s a chicken killer, the rest you can let go.

I just noticed you're in mich, yeah, they're strict there.

Last edited:
You can try and mark them and see what comes back. The few times I have moved animals I went a atleast 5 miles,and had some roads between us.Yes,it is illegal to move animals.Expect a fine if you get caught.

Out where I live, there isn't anyone to catch me
smile.png

It's illegal to go 71 in a 70 but we all do that from time to time :)

The "wildlife preserve" is an old 300 acre farm that they let go wild and put some hiking trails on it. They aren't trying to encourage any growth or habitat, just give the city folks a reason to come out my way.

I thought 2miles might be enough but perhaps not. I was hoping a hawk or other critter might get them before they made it back to my area, or maybe a fast moving Chevy.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, if you don't mind them dying as expressed above, why not accept responsibility and euthanize them in a more humane way than predation, starvation, or death by vehicle?

I strongly urge you NOT to relocate any animals, regardless of whether they're "predators" or not.

Type "don't relocate predators" in the Search function here on BYC for a lot of good information on this subject.

In many ways, relocating is just another word for dumping, and most of us in the country resent any animals being dumped in our area. It's really just transferring the problem to someone else, from chipmunk up through raccoon! Not to mention the relocated animals will have to fight to carve out a niche in the new territory if they decide to stay and not "re-home" to your property.

Most states indeed do prohibit this practice. Please euthanize what you catch before you choose relocation.

Quote:
Well, if you don't mind them dying as expressed above, why not accept responsibility and euthanize them in a more humane way than predation, starvation, or death by vehicle?

what sourland said.

for squirrels, the rule of thumb I've been able to find is at least 5 miles, preferably 10. And possums/coons have a MUCH bigger home range than a squirrel.

http://icwdm.org/wildlife/euthanasia/relocation.asp

The mid-atlantic rabies outbreak in the early 80s was traced to a hunt club relocating trapped racoons from out of state.

Back
Top Bottom