Remember my 47 eggs that didn't hatch....This'll give you a chuckle...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    My hubby is a born and bred farmer. I'm a born and bred city girl. He grew up with his mom raising chickens. I'm pretty sure he showed them at the 4H fair.

Remember I had 47 eggs that were all duds my first time around? We're just finishing up our 2nd hatch and they are all duds too. Since we separated the silky rooster from the broody hen and chick, my son wanted to see what would happen if we put the silky rooster with the brown leghorn hen to see what kind of mix we would get. I even gave the hen a brazilian around her butt to help with fertilization!

We put the brown leghorn rooster in a cage by itself. Today the brown leghorn "rooster" laid an egg. Apparently Rooos is actually Henrietta! What my hubby told me was a rooster is just a big hen! SO all those eggs were really not bummers, they were just unfertilized eggs!

I can't wait to tell my hubby that his wife knows more about the chickens than he does because I questioned him early on about that being a hen and he insisted it was a rooster.

I'm just about dying laughing at all the work I've done these last 6 weeks for nothing! ....i'll cry later.

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL Oh my gosh I'm sorry your roo is a hen?? wait it's it usually the other way around people want their roos to be hens!!! anyhow nice to solve the mystery of bad hatches!! Time to try again, this time with a real roo!!

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I love it!!

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    [​IMG] Hey bearz---have a camera handy so that you can show us all a pic of the look on his face.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2008
  5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] OOPS! [​IMG] That is so funny! I am sure that you are so disappointed with your hatches, BUT at least you have found the cause and know it's not your fault. It's Henrietta's! [​IMG]

6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Oops! Just think of the poor hen you were trying to breed! First she has to deal with your disappointment that her eggs aren't hatching (even though she was doing what she was supposed to!). Now she's stuck in a cage with a strange rooster and a naked butt!

Life is rough when you're a chicken! [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    No no no,,, a video camera!!! America's Funniest Videos!!!! This should be priceless~!

8. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    That is great! I am laughing so hard right now! Great story! [​IMG]

9. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Love it too funny. Can we see this hen that looks like a rooster?

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Really funny. My DH and I have a couple of bets going on on some Orps. I think hens, he thinks Roos. On another I think roo and he thinks hen.. We have some good laughs over these things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by