Remember when Sears sold chickens?

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
May 11, 2010
I remember years ago back in the 70's buying 50 'Rock X' roosters for meat. I remembered they were solid white, had large red combs and the longest breasts I have ever seen on a rooster. I hired a fellow to slaughter them for me and he was impressed with the quality of meat and also ordered some for himself.

Back then Sears sold just about anything...I also purchased a saddle from them and I had an in-law mention how Sear sold kits to build houses.

Sad to say I'm not impressed with the softer side of today's Sears.

I got my first order ever of RIRs from Sears back in the late 60s, early 70s. the chicks I got before then from an auntie were great and all, but I wanted the 'special' chicks from Sears! They actually were some good chickens. Good layers and decent roos!
jumpy.gif
They all arrived in great health and I didn't lose a single one!

Yes sad to say, yes i remember, they sold chicks, duckling, and etc. Even could order swams of honey bees.

I still have a old sears metal incubator dad order in 1955...yes, it still works fine. double steel wall, hold about 99 eggs.

It mean more to me than any of my 12 incubators....hatched my first eggs in it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I still have a Sears fence charger my hubby's grandfather gave me. Keeps the cows in and the kids out!

Don't know when the quit selling chickens. I do know that I got a farm and garden catalog from them somewhere between 1985 and 1990 and they still had a couple variety of chickens listed. I think they were SR### laying hens or SR### broilers. Only a couple varieties, but they still had'em. Never oredered any myself.

Back
Top Bottom