"Remembering Our Fallen" Win a MPC Coop May HAL w/hosts Mike & Sally

Interesting about my Grandfather and his service prior to service. Hopefully it is readable.

I wanted to share this photo of my grandpa. He served in WWII. He and his siblings made it home safe from the war unlike so many others. In gratitude for that, my great grandparents dedicated this shrine that sits at the family property to this day. I realize Memorial Day is to remember those that didn't get to come home, but wanted to share this to show their gratitude they had to have their kids come home.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures of my father in uniform, while he was serving during Vietnam.

He wasn't really a part of my life, but I did track him down and travel to visit him not long before he passed away last year. When he heard of my service during the visit, he showed me these photographs in a scrapbook, and I decided to snap pics of them with my phone. They are pretty much all I have of him, so I thought this an appropriate place to share.

While I was in college, I was extremely lucky to get to know the man who became the only grandfather I've ever known. An excellent welder and machinist, he taught me a number of things, both while I was working for them at the machine shop and when we were just hanging out. He was a great man who was always happy to help someone out, and always happy to bend someone's ear with a story.

A veteran of World War II with a full and rewarding life both before and after his service as well, he had a great many stories to tell; but one of my favorites was about working on airplanes for the Navy. He didn't start out as a mechanic for the Navy, but he always had a mind for machines. And after watching the crews waste gallons and gallons of hydraulic oil (brake fluid) every time they went through a very time consuming process of bleeding the brakes on an airplane, he sneaked into a hangar and figured out a better way of doing things.

After designing and making a tool that could bleed the aircraft's brakes in a short time, while wasting very little brake fluid, he was afraid the crew guys would just take his idea and tell him to shove off. So he went to the Captain and told him what he had come up with. Annoyed and skeptical, especially since this kid who jumped the chain of command wasn't even a mechanic, the Captain told him to go see what the NCO over the crews had to say about it. Of course, he agreed, but respectfully told the Captain that when his tool and method worked, he wanted to be on his airplane mechanics crew.

A couple of weeks later, the Captain was walking by the hangars and happened to think about that kid, and asked about what he had said. The head of the crews confirmed that his idea had indeed made things quicker, easier, and less wasteful; so the Captain kept his word and got the kid sent to training and put on the crew. So a bit of ingenuity and the guts to put himself forward resulted in aviation mechanics crews around the Navy learning a better way of doing things, and led to him getting to work on some of the newest and biggest equipment in naval aviation.

Last edited:
Both of my grandfathers served in World War II. I don't know much about it, but they both made it back safe and sound and met the love of their life's. I hear stories and see pictures and I am grateful that they came back safe

My grandfather, Winston Clark, served in World War II. My mother was born in 1944 while he was overseas. He never spoke much about his experiences, but when my aunt took him to see Saving Private Ryan, he had to leave early, in tears. It turned out that he was on that beach, and the memories were still too raw, 54 years later. When he passed away a few years ago, he had an honor guard at his funeral. My uncle Winston has the flag that they draped over him. I'll always remember one day when he was taking down his flag, which always flew on his deck at the beach. It brushed the deck and a lifeguard ran up and admonished my Dada, saying he should pay proper respect for the flag. My grandfather just looked at him and said, "Son, you have no idea how much I love this flag and what it represents."

THIS THREAD WILL REMAIN OPEN for posting and commenting, hopefully for a long long time!

However, those posting after 5/31/16 are void for entry to initial contest! Carry on and Good luck!

Winner to be announced on or before JUNE 12th, 2016! HOW EXCITING!
clap.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom