remembering the day

I was 4 months pregnant with my 2nd child and had hyperemesis, so was horribly sick. I was popping Veggie Tales videos in the VCR for my 15 month old daughter and to keep her entertained while I was indisposed. When I popped out the one video, ready to put in another one, I saw NYC and the plume of smoke and I just sat down and watched in disbelief as the events unfolded.

The worst part for me was hearing the messages from the people in the top of the tower, the ones who knew that they weren't getting out, they called their loved ones and left good-bye messages.
hit.gif

I'm so sorry for the people that lost their lives and we continue to pray for the loved ones left behind.
hugs.gif

We were on this same island when it happened. DH and the kids were in bed and I was reading a message board when someone posted that a plane flew into the WTC. I confess, I didn't know what the WTC was at the time so I turned on the TV in time for the news to show the second plane hit. I stayed up late that night glued to the TV and trying to comprehend the horror and failing miserably. I can't imagine what those trapped in the buildings must have gone through nor their families that were left behind to pick up the pieces. The bases here were all on lockdown and only essential personnel were able to come and go. We had just went through a typhoon so everyone was home anyways. A very sad day for our Nation and I truly hope and pray that it is something that we never have to go through again.

I was bringing my oldest to school and my MIL was watching my 2 younger boys. On my way from bringing him, my mom calls me and told me that a plane has hit one of the twin towers. I get back home, turn on the news, and I saw when the second plane hit the WTC. After I saw that, I ran to my MILs and just hugged my boys...and prayed... I will never forget!!! Sarah...thanks for posting the words to the song... it seems that so many ppl forget..and they shouldn't.

i was just finishing work and off to the mall for a shopping trip..

could not understand why everyone was crammed around radio shack, sears, the bay, walked right into walmart and it seemed like a ghost town till i made my way to electronics there stood everyone starring blankly at the tv's

i feel bad cause i paid no attention kept on my business

went home to get my son from school 1/2 day jk when we sat down for lunch and i turned on the TV and my chin hit the floor

a few days later i got the call from a friend of mine who's fiancee was a firefighter in NY and the news came in that he was one of the lost

they had just bought a house he was set to retire and move to canada and raise greyhound's with her.

she followed through with the purchase of the house and on the day they were to be married in june 2002 she had a memorial service instead of a wedding and she raises greyhounds now in "their" home.

I was working outside of Philadelphia when it happened. I was frantic I have family in NYC. One who worked in the 2nd tower (he got out) I will NEVER, EVER forget the feelings that poured over me.

I don't expect anyone to read this. It's long, and rambling, and quite boring, I'm sure. I would just like to "put it down on paper," so to speak.

I'm a police officer in a city in New Jersey, just two cities away from the George Washington Bridge.

On September 11, 2001 I was home, on maternity leave. My son was not even two months old.

Every morning, when my husband left for work (he owned a moving company in North Arlington NJ, and the warehouse was next to the house we lived in), he would leave the television on. Every morning, I would turn the television off after he left. September 11, 2001 I didn't turn the television off.

I heard that a small plane had struck one of the towers. I went into the living room, and saw the live footage. I went outside, to see if I could see anything, but saw nothing. My husband came over, and asked what in the heck I was doing out there in my pajamas. I told him what I heard on the news. We both went back in, and watched the live news. We learned what was happening. We lived by the meadows (Meadowlands area). By the end of the day, we could see the smoke and debris across the river.

My husband became hysterical. His brother had gone out on a moving job in NYC. Where in NYC? Was it near the Towers? We didn't know. It turned out that they hadn't been in danger, but were close enough to watch the horror from the rooftop of the building.

We both remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when it happened. We'll never forget. It's like our parents knowing where they were and what they were doing when President Kennedy was assasinated. Some things you never forget.

I'll never forget. I no longer have the post-pregancy hormones. I can't blame the choking up and emotions on the hormones. I think of the cops and the firefighters who dashed in, who were crushed while doing what they did best. I knew a few. I know a survivor or two, as well. I'll never forget the sound on the news of the firefighters alarms beeping in the rubble. I look at my 8 year old son, and think "What if?" The only reason I wasn't on duty September 11, 2001 ... just a few miles from Ground Zero .... only because I was home with my baby. They wouldn't let anyone from my department go, but still .... what if?

I'm getting choked up as I write this, remembering. It wasn't just a tragedy that day. It was all the days that followed, too. The days of searching, and sifting. The days of watching the news, and the footage of the wreckage. The days of seeing the smoke and debris from where we lived.

I hope no one read this all the way through. How boring for you. But, therapeutic for me.

I was working in my cube at a major engineering firm when a co-worker's husband, who worked in military intelligence in Japan, called her and told her he couldn't talk, but turn on the TV or radio. I had a radio in my cube, I turned it on, and people heard the reporting, the first plane had just hit. Soon there was a crowd of us, engineers, managers, staff, all listening in awe. When the towers started to fall the civil/structural guys were exclaiming out loud how utterly incredible the force must have been - the whole thing was so surreal.

At noon some of us went outside, it was a beautiful day south of Boston. We were located under a flight path to Logan, there were always planes in the sky, but there wasn't a single plane visible. Suddenly we heard the roar of jet engines - two fighter jets flew right over us, banked around and headed back towards Boston. It still makes me shudder.....

I was at work, and auditors has just arrived for their planned visit. The auditor walked into the front door and said "Turn on a TV", and I joked and said "Why, shall we just watch soap operas instead today?" and he said "No, something awful is happening."
We were glued to the television for days from then on. Our armed forces have not relented since that day, and I'm grateful for their sacrifices every day.

I posted these two links in the Coffee thread, but in case you don't peruse that thread:
I have a friend from HS that is an AP photographer embedded with the Marines, and his photos help me to never forget the sacrifices our armed forces are making for us daily. Here's a NY Times link so view some of his photos; he is very talented and was the photographer who took the photo "Marine in pink boxers" that drew much attention last year:
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/assignment-4/
Here's the "marine in pink boxers"
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/behind-the-scenes-man-in-the-pink-boxers/
Take a look if you would like, they are in Afganistan now.

Quote:
i read it all the way through and it was not boring it was insightful!

this is the best part about learning's history

way back before schools were the common method of teaching our children stories and word of mouth, parents memories were how our history was told.

today we are going to get so many versions of that history and you know what it will all be the same, we know where we were but we dont know what it was like to be you so close.

text books distort things fast track it get to the point but stories of our memories are so fascinating...

Back
Top Bottom