removable wheels for tractor!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by patandchickens, Sep 27, 2007.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Perhaps I'm the last person on the planet to hear of this idea but I am feeling quite chuffed about this at the moment and thought I'd share [​IMG]

I have a 4x7' tractor, which includes a 4x2.5' 'house' portion that sits above the 'pen' portion of the tractor. Generally I like it, and I think my 3 girls do too, but its main drawback is that it weighs a TON, urgh! So moving it is an evil task. Every couple of days we've been having to dismount the house and lift it off (it's made detachable), move the pen, then carry the house over and re-mount it on top. I =hate= it.

Then I came across this article http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-4/Harvey_Ussery.html which suggests using permanently-installed 1/2" bolts as axles for removable lawnmower wheels.

*lightbulb over head*

One $20 trip to the hardware store later, I can pop a pair of wheels under house end of the tractor (with the house still mounted on the pen) in about 1 minute. Then I can easily pull it where I want to go and take wheels back off. (I am removing them b/c I worry about predators, but if you are in a more protected location you might just leave them permanently on.

Wowie!!

This took NO TIME AT ALL to set up, and I really recommend it!!

I will see if I can get my husband to post some photos of this in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Pat

2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    aint that great!! I have two tractors with wheels.. I salvaged some old tires off a lawnmower.. soooooo easy to move and even easier to keep clean..

3. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Here's another idea:

From these photos:
    http://www.gbdg.net/g2/main.php?g2_itemId=174&g2_page=2

I built my run in my driveway because it's easier to work there, tools are nearby and I have power. But then I had to move the beast to the other side of the yard. So I created an axle with a 4x4 and similar wheels on a bolt.

For those whose tractor would not accomodate a bolt like the article shows, it's easy to imagine a 2x4 with wheels on each side that could be slipped in under the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by