Removing chicks from momma

hrt4desh

Songster
Jun 6, 2019
SW Virginia
Just hatched 4 chicks yesterday with a new momma and anticipating hatching 6 more chicks next week with a seasoned momma.

My question is this: Can the chicks be taken from the momma without repercussions? My momma hens are notoriously mean to me and my son. We try as much as we can to handle the chicks to get them used to us, but it has never worked so far. (4th year in a row of broody hen hatching.)

I'd like to put the babies into a brooder and get them used to us, but I don't want the moms to have any issues.

Has anyone done this before? Please advise.

Attachments

• 20210420_151545.jpg
    20210420_151545.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 3
Can the chicks be taken from the momma without repercussions?
Not sure what you mean by repercussions. If your brooder is where the hen can't see the chicks he will be broken from being broody in two to three days. Of course he will be upset when you take her babies away, but she will get over it pretty soon. You'd be upset if someone took your son away but she'll be over it a lot sooner than you would.

My momma hens are notoriously mean to me and my son. We try as much as we can to handle the chicks to get them used to us, but it has never worked so far.
A good broody hen protects her babies. She sees you and your son as monsters threatening her babies. She is doing exactly what she is supposed to do. Brave Mommy hen.

Has anyone done this before?
Yes, this is done fairly often. It depends on why you are hatching chicks. Some hatch them to sell so they can take them away really young. Some do it for your reason.

Have you considered using an incubator and hatching them yourself? It might be easier for you.

Not sure what you mean by repercussions. If your brooder is where the hen can't see the chicks he will be broken from being broody in two to three days. Of course he will be upset when you take her babies away, but she will get over it pretty soon. You'd be upset if someone took your son away but she'll be over it a lot sooner than you would.

A good broody hen protects her babies. She sees you and your son as monsters threatening her babies. She is doing exactly what she is supposed to do. Brave Mommy hen.

Yes, this is done fairly often. It depends on why you are hatching chicks. Some hatch them to sell so they can take them away really young. Some do it for your reason.

Have you considered using an incubator and hatching them yourself? It might be easier for you.
Thank you for responding!

I totally understand what you're saying about the momma losing her chicks. (We had a cow lose a calf two weeks ago and she cried for two days. 😔) I was just wondering if I could remove the chicks and the momma would go back to the flock or if she would want to still be broody. I don't want to stress her body unnecessarily.

Yes, we have considered incubation but don't have an incubator. I'm a little hesitant since I've heard so many bad stories about doing it that way. We have a very high success rate with broody hens, which is why we keep allowing them to hatch. 🙂

Thank you again for responding so quickly!

Back
Top Bottom