Removing Chicks From the Incubator

BekkiH

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
I set seven eggs in my Brisnea Mini Advance, and three have hatched so far tonight. Two more have pipped.

As of right now, the inside is getting pretty crowded, between eggs, chicks, and shells. The chicks keep running around, bowling over the pipped eggs and laying on them.

Can chicks piling on top of the pip hole cause any problems?

The chicks are dry, fluffy and alert. Is it safe to remove them quickly? Or is that too risky for the other eggs?

Eeekk first hatch stresses!

I would say, Leave them alone! You have pipped eggs and you risk shrink wrapping. If you turn off the lights and make it dark, the little ones will settle down

I have been hatching for a few years now and am by no means an "expert". I have always gone in and removed any chicks that have hatched and are dry enough to be moved to the brooder. I have never had an issue with any of the remaining eggs hatching successfully.
Thing is get in and then get out quickly.
Humidity is high enough that opening the incubator for a few seconds to grab a chick doesn't cause any issues in my incubator.

Im also not an expert but just had a really good hatch. I waited until the next day to try to get all my pipped eggs to hatch before I removed the chicks that had dried, but they kept hatching and others kept pipping LOL. Mine were also knocking mine all around and laying on top of them so we quickly got in and got the dry chicks and got out. Our humidity levels actually rose when one hatched, so we found this to be the best time to grab the other chicks that were dry. I had no problems with my pipped eggs either...they hatched right on track

Back
Top Bottom