Removing duckling from the incubator

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by charlt83, Jul 23, 2016.

1. charlt83

charlt83 New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    My only surviving duckling hatched at half 12 this morning.... He is dry but looks greasy .... And he's stumbling around.... But I'm not sure when to move him to more comfortable digs with a heat lamp... Please help as I'm reading all different comments ....

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If he is dry, go ahead and move him to the brooder... the greasy look sounds like he was a bit sticky when he hatched, it'll fluff out once he gets his feet under him and starts grooming... if it's really bad you can gently rinse him off in warm water just don't get it in his nares and dry him off quick so he doesn't catch a chill...

1 person likes this.
  3. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Hello, quick question off of the answer. Is warm water the best option to clean ducklings? Thanks!

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Yes... it works best if you use a bowl in the sink to dip and hold them in while keeping their heads out... if they're super sticky or dried hard, the soaking will help and you can gently rub of crud with your fingers... make sure the water is about 90°F though, you want it close to their body temp... towel off gently and well, and a blow dryer set on low helps too...

5. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    @RavynFallen thanks for replying! Although, due to a sad turn of events I don't believe I will be able to make use of your advice.:(

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Oh, no! I am so sorry!! :(

7. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Yeah. Had one zipping, hadn't made much progress so we checked on him. No chirping and no movement. Not so sure about my other 4 eggs. They haven't changed much since last Tuesday. Any tips?

8. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Congrats on your little baby making it!! Best of luck to you and your buddy! :)

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Did you candle them? Look for shadowing or bills in the air cells...

10. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    I did. Large, dark shape orangeish goo on top of that followed by a fair-looking air sac. I'm not too experienced to pick out the bills. I figured no progress since Tuesday mixed with a bit of a different color was a big red flag. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by