Removing duckling from the incubator

charlt83

Hatching
Jul 13, 2016
My only surviving duckling hatched at half 12 this morning.... He is dry but looks greasy .... And he's stumbling around.... But I'm not sure when to move him to more comfortable digs with a heat lamp... Please help as I'm reading all different comments ....

If he is dry, go ahead and move him to the brooder... the greasy look sounds like he was a bit sticky when he hatched, it'll fluff out once he gets his feet under him and starts grooming... if it's really bad you can gently rinse him off in warm water just don't get it in his nares and dry him off quick so he doesn't catch a chill...

Hello, quick question off of the answer. Is warm water the best option to clean ducklings? Thanks!

Yes... it works best if you use a bowl in the sink to dip and hold them in while keeping their heads out... if they're super sticky or dried hard, the soaking will help and you can gently rub of crud with your fingers... make sure the water is about 90°F though, you want it close to their body temp... towel off gently and well, and a blow dryer set on low helps too...

@RavynFallen thanks for replying! Although, due to a sad turn of events I don't believe I will be able to make use of your advice.:(

My only surviving duckling hatched at half 12 this morning.... He is dry but looks greasy .... And he's stumbling around.... But I'm not sure when to move him to more comfortable digs with a heat lamp... Please help as I'm reading all different comments ....

Congrats on your little baby making it!! Best of luck to you and your buddy! :)

Did you candle them? Look for shadowing or bills in the air cells...

I did. Large, dark shape orangeish goo on top of that followed by a fair-looking air sac. I'm not too experienced to pick out the bills. I figured no progress since Tuesday mixed with a bit of a different color was a big red flag. :(

Back
Top Bottom