Removing spurs ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmaddie's mom, Jun 21, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have removed spurs before with the pliers and twist method and it has worked well... but yesterday I tried it for the first time on my main Rooster and it didn't work?!? Spur didn't twist and it bleed at the leg... I felt really bad... does it not work on all roos? Finally cut and dremeled them down a bit so he is fine but now I hesitate to try it on other roos? Thoughts?

2. mmaddie's mom

anyone?

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have never done it, but I thought it worked on all roosters. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've used a hot potato from the microwave and put it on the spur for about 1 minute and pulled it right off....have to be careful not to touch the roos leg with the hot potato. There's a little bleeding but not much. I then wipe it clean with iodine and let the rooster go on his way. I'm sure there's other ways of despurring a rooster.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i personally perfer not to remove spurs entirely and risk infection- instead i usually just file them down. wrap the rooster in an old towel if he struggles and either clip of the tips of each spur with pet nail clippers and/or use a nail file to round them out. rounded spurs can do very little damage to hens (and to you). it helps to have a second person if you use this method, but it is also possible to do on your own. good luck!

6. mmaddie's mom

WIll probably use the clip and dremel method in the future... maybe try the hot potato... hated to hurt him and it had worked on other Roosters?

7. mmaddie's mom

Mostly I was removing them because they seemed to be in his way... hitting as he walked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by