Removing water at night, replacing in morning...how long do they go without water?

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Well, it's wintery here now, and that means that every night I remove their water and replace it in the AM. I tried leaving it in there, but it freezes solid. Anyhow...this is working out okay now as I am out there when they are still on their roosts, so they don't miss it too much. BUT, I really want to get a light out there, which means they will be awake 4 hours before I come out there with the water. Does anyone else do this? I am trying to find a way to heat their water without using a 12V or electrical, which is out of the question. So far, no good solution, so I need to remove and replace, and I am wondering if you can do this if they are waking up before you do? Help? :( I hate this weather. :(

Well, it's wintery here now, and that means that every night I remove their water and replace it in the AM. I tried leaving it in there, but it freezes solid. Anyhow...this is working out okay now as I am out there when they are still on their roosts, so they don't miss it too much. BUT, I really want to get a light out there, which means they will be awake 4 hours before I come out there with the water. Does anyone else do this? I am trying to find a way to heat their water without using a 12V or electrical, which is out of the question. So far, no good solution, so I need to remove and replace, and I am wondering if you can do this if they are waking up before you do? Help? :( I hate this weather. :(

How are you going to power the light? I ask as the power source for your light may give us some ideas on how you can also address the water issue.

I was looking at those LED christmas lights that have a pack of AA batteries that power it. It has a timer, so it will be on for 6 hours then off for 18. I was going to set it to come on at 3 or 4 am.

Cannot do an extension cord, and after a fire on my husband's boat with a 12v and solar panel, we don't feel comfortable using it in our coop.

I suppose I can set my alarm and get out there sooner. I have been meaning to start going to the gym at 5am anyhow, lol... :/ I guess what i am mostly wondering if this is feasible or done at all. How long is too long for a chicken to not have water? :(

Last edited:
They can go a couple of hours without water, like us. If you are going to use lights you could do it in the evening instead. They do learn when the lights go out and go to roost in time, mine do. Lights in the evening will allow you to be there closer when they get up on the days you don't go to the gym.

Water is a crucial agent for metabolizing food. That's why they need it. Do you plan on feeding them at night while the lights are on in the coop? If you don't plan to provide food for them in the coop during the night, I doubt water is necessary.

They can go a couple of hours without water, like us. If you are going to use lights you could do it in the evening instead. They do learn when the lights go out and go to roost in time, mine do. Lights in the evening will allow you to be there closer when they get up on the days you don't go to the gym.

Water is a crucial agent for metabolizing food. That's why they need it. Do you plan on feeding them at night while the lights are on in the coop? If you don't plan to provide food for them in the coop during the night, I doubt water is necessary.
Thank you all...

It took some figuring out but we found a way to get an extremely obnoxious insanely long extension cord out there now, so I guess it won't be an issue. :)

Back
Top Bottom