Renee new here

Newbeechicks

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
So I just got my 4 leghorn chicks a month ago. I live in Wisconsin,They are growing so fast! This is my second attempt of chicken. I got 4 chicks years ago when I lived in FL in a Home with a HOA! All our chicks where roosters!! I was lucky I was working at a Veternary clinic so my Veterinarian took all of them in! I got my current chicks at tractor supply store where all are supposed to be females fingers crossed! I live where there are foxes, hawks and other animals that could harm my chickens, so I’m not free ranging them. I bought a pre-maid coop from farm and fleet so they have a nice run and two nesting boxes! I will definitely need help being a newbie chicken mom! Definitely would like recommendations on feed I have chick feed now but it’s a small bag! What should I feed them during all stages of life? Can’t wait to learn all I can from everyone!

Last edited:
Hello, Renee, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I feed Flock Raiser for life. I add multiple containers of oysters shell at 16 weeks old. No layer formula that I've found offers a decent amount of protein and when the hens aren't laying, they don't need all that extra calcium.

So I just got my 4 leghorn chicks a month ago. They are growing so fast! This is my second attempt of chicken. I got 4 chicks years ago when I lived in FL in a Home with a HOA! All our chicks where roosters!! I was lucky I was working at a Veternary clinic so my Veterinarian took all of them in! I got my current chicks at tractor supply store where all are supposed to be females fingers crossed! I live where there are foxes, hawks and other animals that could harm my chickens, so I’m not free ranging them. I bought a pre-maid coop from farm and fleet so they have a nice run and two nesting boxes! I will definitely need help being a newbie chicken mom! Definitely would like recommendations on feed I have chick feed now but it’s a small bag! What should I feed them during all stages of life? Can’t wait to learn all I can from everyone!

Hi and welcome. Chick starter is good for now. All my birds get an all-flock formula, it's good for both genders and all ages. I start switching the babies over at about five or six weeks so they can start eating it when they go in with the older birds at 8 -10 weeks. But since you don't have an older flock it's really up to you when to switch them. Others may have better advice than me! You will want to start offering chick grit before offering anything besides chick starter such as treats like dried melworms, which you should crush at first. Mealworms are a good way to start taming your babies and getting them used to you. Good luck!

So I just got my 4 leghorn chicks a month ago. I live in Wisconsin,They are growing so fast! This is my second attempt of chicken. I got 4 chicks years ago when I lived in FL in a Home with a HOA! All our chicks where roosters!! I was lucky I was working at a Veternary clinic so my Veterinarian took all of them in! I got my current chicks at tractor supply store where all are supposed to be females fingers crossed! I live where there are foxes, hawks and other animals that could harm my chickens, so I’m not free ranging them. I bought a pre-maid coop from farm and fleet so they have a nice run and two nesting boxes! I will definitely need help being a newbie chicken mom! Definitely would like recommendations on feed I have chick feed now but it’s a small bag! What should I feed them during all stages of life? Can’t wait to learn all I can from everyone!
The next level of feed is called Pullet grower. You get that once chicks have reached 6 to 8 weeks of age. Then as they get older say about 8 to nine months put them on a layer scratch mix.

Back
Top Bottom