Renting Out Processing Equipment

Quote:
I don't know, I think we could make a good profit. If we spend $1500-$2000 on equipment and rent it out for $100/day, it'd pay itself off in 15 or 20 "days" of renting. It could easily pay for itself in a summer. Besides, what damage could someone do? If there's motor damage on the plucker, hubby could fix it. The plucker is the most expensive piece.
idunno.gif

It doesn't pay for itself in 15 or 20 days of renting if you pay for insurance, transportation, advertising, etc.

I pay $4 per bird processing around here and from reading this forum I think that is on the high side. I'd have to process 25 birds to pay the same as at the professional processor (even ignoring that there will be extra expenses of doing it at home for things like bags). In reality, I'd have to process even more to account for my time -- if the choice was $120 at the processor or $100 and hours of work plus clean up at home for the same 30 birds I'd likely pay the extra 20 bucks.

In short, I think your market will be pretty small at $100 per day. Of course, if you have a market, you ought to take advantage. I just don't think dreaming of paying for your equipment in a single summer is realistic.

I think you could find a rental market for a tub type plucker...at something like $50 for a weekend.

Just my thoughts. I could well be out of touch with reality (as is often the case).

Quote:
I don't know, I think we could make a good profit. If we spend $1500-$2000 on equipment and rent it out for $100/day, it'd pay itself off in 15 or 20 "days" of renting. It could easily pay for itself in a summer. Besides, what damage could someone do? If there's motor damage on the plucker, hubby could fix it. The plucker is the most expensive piece.
idunno.gif

It doesn't pay for itself in 15 or 20 days of renting if you pay for insurance, transportation, advertising, etc.

I pay $4 per bird processing around here and from reading this forum I think that is on the high side. I'd have to process 25 birds to pay the same as at the professional processor (even ignoring that there will be extra expenses of doing it at home for things like bags). In reality, I'd have to process even more to account for my time -- if the choice was $120 at the processor or $100 and hours of work plus clean up at home for the same 30 birds I'd likely pay the extra 20 bucks.

In short, I think your market will be pretty small at $100 per day. Of course, if you have a market, you ought to take advantage. I just don't think dreaming of paying for your equipment in a single summer is realistic.

I think you could find a rental market for a tub type plucker...at something like $50 for a weekend.

Just my thoughts. I could well be out of touch with reality (as is often the case).

I think we could both be out of touch with reality.
lol.png

$4 per bird sounds awfully high. I'm having a hard time even finding anyone to process birds around her. I've spoken with several people who have said they'd like to raise birds but need a solution for processing.

I'm still waiting on the insurance man to call back with a quote. Transportation is on the renter, unless they pay us a delivery fee. Advertising is fairly cheap. Craigslist and word of mouth are free.
wink.png
Other things like bags and propane would be supplied by the renter. Besides, several people could pool their time and process birds together. That'd save them money.

I just know we're in a bind because we want to raise some meat birds for ourselves and some family, and we need a processing solution. Last year we took our birds an hour away to use our friend's facilities, and I dont' know if that's possible this year, because gas is high and we don't want to take advantage of our friend's hospitality. We're doing too many birds to pluck by hand (that wastes so much time!) but too few birds to buy a plucker just for our use.
hmm.png

Maybe the solution is in the middle: build a plucker. Or, maybe the answer is to buy the equipment and start processing for a fee!

I know $4 sounds high to many, but the three processing facilities within about an hour of me all charge in that neighborhood.

Well, I LIKE your idea.
I think the price is right.
I think most people wanting to butcher chickens in bulk would want to rent from you again and therefore be concerned about keeping the realtionship good. As far as risk, I would get a copy of your local "rent-a-centers" contract for say . . . chainsaws, and use it for a guide.
My concerns would be;
1. what if someone leaves with it? You would need to get GOOD info on them up front (this is where delivery would make sense)
2. what if someone breaks a part of it? I would get a refundable deposit and have a good solid checklist of all pieces and parts, have them initial when they recieve it and you sign off before returning deposit.
3. what if they keep it longer than agreed upon? again this is where delivery (and pick up) makes sense, also deposit.

Quote:
That's about what I have come across for plucker rental also! At least here in Indiana! I personally wouldn't pay $100 a day, that seems too high.

I think the only thing most people would want or need to rent is the plucker. Most seem to already have everything else that's needed.

Back
Top Bottom