reoccurring sores on foot/leg *w/pics*

waterbebe

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
NorCal
We adopted 3 chickens earlier about six months ago from a friend.Our Buff keeps having these reoccurring open wounds on her feet/ankles. If you look at the pictures, you will see a wound on the foot on the right. The wounds usually happen on both feet in nearly the same spot at the same time. This is the first time it's only on one foot. At first, we thought she was getting caught on the chicken wire, but we built them an enclosed run. It happened one other time, and again today. We put Blue Kote on, and they scabbed up and healed. I'm not sure what this is or why it keeps coming back. This time, it looks more painful - she limps and does not want to put pressure on the foot. Any advice on identification and treatment would be great. Also, should we separate and confine her to a smaller space that does not allow lots of movement?

Welcome to BYC. Since she is limping, I would look at the bottoms of the foot pads for swelling or a black spot that is bumblefoot. Could she or someone else be pecking her feet? Do you see any signs of scaly leg mites or raised scales?

These lesions on the leg are confusing. The 3 diseases I know that can cause limping are mycoplasma synovitis, viral arthritis or tenosynovitis, bumblefoot. Of course a leg sprain or break would also cause a limp. The re-curring sores are puzzling though, and I would probably take her to the vet for antibiotics in case it was a staph infection (the same thing that causes bumblefoot) or get some procaine penicillin G injection from the feed store and give her 4 days worth.

Thanks eggcessive! a) I don't know what scaly mites look like. I was hoping the pictures would help since it occurs on both feet, usually. 2) I checked the bottoms of the feet and they are clean - no signs of bumblefoot or other problems. 3) The limp is brand new, it didn't happen last time. I'll look into the meds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom