Repeatedly egg bound? Please reply.

Crabbylady

Chirping
Jul 8, 2020
So a lot of research has led us to the diagnosis of repeated egg boundness in our 1+ year old bantam Cochin. Three times this summer she has stopped laying for several days and then after about 5 days or so, her health ranked- she seemed lame, was too weak to walk, seemed like her legs weren’t able to hold her, lost her appetite and had extreme heavy breathing with NO signs of respiratory issues, so it was obvious the breathing was from pressure or pain (not congestion). After a day or so of the extreme fatigue she would perk up after rest and hand feeding and then go on to lay the egg, which was slightly smaller than normal. Then the next day she’s fine. Till it started again a few weeks later. Has anyone has this happen?

1. She does ultimately pass the egg herself with no medical intervention
2. She stops laying for nearly a week prior to laying
3. The egg is smaller than normal
4. There are no abnormalities in the shell
5. This is the third time in about 2 - 3 months this has happened

I don’t want her to suffer…. She has a good life aside from these episodes - it’s very sad. Once she is about to lay the egg she bounces back. So that makes us suspect it’s stuck high up (we don’t feel anything while palpating the abdomen) because she recovers before the egg has even passed, so the part that’s affecting her breathing etc seems remedied before the egg is even out.

Ideas? Please don’t tell me to put her down. Let’s try other methods first.

I did just add calcium into their food. She’s on layer feed. She does forage outside daily.

It does sound like she has difficult ovulations. She's still a new layer and likely her body isn't completely in a rhythm yet. Adding the calcium to the food risks exposing other hens to too much calcium. A better way would be to treat this hen individually. I recommend calcium citrate as it's very easily digested and absorbed. Give one/half tablet daily directly into her beak for about two weeks and see how it affects her issue.

This is the calcium I'm talking about.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

It does sound like she has difficult ovulations. She's still a new layer and likely her body isn't completely in a rhythm yet. Adding the calcium to the food risks exposing other hens to too much calcium. A better way would be to treat this hen individually. I recommend calcium citrate as it's very easily digested and absorbed. Give one/half tablet daily directly into her beak for about two weeks and see how it affects her issue.

This is the calcium I'm talking about. View attachment 2788905
That makes sense. What’s the best method to get it into her? She’s not super cooperative lol. I can hold her but she won’t willingly open her beak etc.

No chicken will willingly open their beak for a pill. Oh, wait, I once had a very smart hen with leg pain who willingly took an aspirin from my open palm each day, but she was definitely an outlier.

You need to pry open the beak and pop it back on the tongue. If you do not get it far enough back in the mouth, the chicken may fire it across the room as many dogs and cats are adept at doing. With a little practice, you can get good at it.

No chicken will willingly open their beak for a pill. Oh, wait, I once had a very smart hen with leg pain who willingly took an aspirin from my open palm each day, but she was definitely an outlier.

You need to pry open the beak and pop it back on the tongue. If you do not get it far enough back in the mouth, the chicken may fire it across the room as many dogs and cats are adept at doing. With a little practice, you can get good at it.
Because I have it on hand; would tums work? I may also have calcium pills. I will look. I do appreciate your help. Is this issue something calcium may cure? She didn’t lay again for the last two days and I am worried the cycle is starting again :(. She used to lay fine. :(

Also someone mentioned olive oil. Is that recommended?

Back
Top Bottom