Replace my 12 week old chick after hawk attack??

CTchickenmomma

Hatching
Aug 11, 2016
Need advice! I have 6 one year old hens (Rhode island reds and buff Orpingtons) and was raising 2 12 week old buff laced polish. Today one of my polish was killed by a hawk. Now the other one is looking for her and seems withdrawn. It's the saddest thing ive ever seen! I'm worried that now that she doesn't have another hen her age my older ones may not accept her into the flock, she seems alone... They were separated in the run(They can see each other) and sleeping in a separate "baby coop" . the other one is alone now and sleeping alone. Should I get her a friend her age? Integrate her faster with the older chickens?? Help!!!

Depending on how long they had been in view of the rest of the flock( at least a week or two) I would go ahead and put her in with the rest of the flock. She will be just fine, but stay with her and watch for a while just to be sure.

Yeah, forget trying to get her a "friend". Chicken relationships just don't work like people ones. Chickens either need to be raised together from chicks or have years of exposure to a favorite friend in order to form close friendships. A lost BFF just cannot be easily and quickly replaced. In fact, it usually turns out the new addition will be resented and treated as an intruder.

Your surviving Polish has much more in common with the rest of the flock than she would with a "replacement". Don't bother trying to replace the lost one.

Ok! Thanks! I will try to integrate her this weekend when she can be watched. They don't bother her when they are free ranging but I've been worried about them all in the run together.

I would worry about free ranging when the hawk already got one of them. It likely will be back.
I free ranged for about a year with no problems, but this year lost 2 hens, to unknown predator, now everyone is in the run permanently.

Yeah I'm going to keep them in the run for awhile I saw the hawk back this morning perched above in a tree. We usually just let them around the yard while we are home but now I'm scared!! Especially for my polish because I feel like she can hardly see!! My husband wants to kill it but I think they are protected. What age do you all usually start integrating them to sleep in the coop? She's only about half the size of the older hens...

My 12 week olds just got integrated and they are half the size of the hens. I divided the roost with cardboard so the the youngsters can share it. I had to pick them up and gently place them where it was safe to roost, and after 3 nights, they now automatically go to their side. Your young Polish may be vulnerable to bullying because of what happened, you'll just have to monitor....one BYC forum on integration says if there is no blood being drawn, then let them be. Ours definitely are getting chased and pecked. But they are teenagers, and seem to be undaunted.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss! I just wanted to chime in and tell you I have integrated 6-8 week old chicks without any losses. If you have a large enough coop and lot they should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom