Reporter seeking to interview people with "surprise roosters"

I am eggzawsted!
The photographer just left. I spent 1-1/2 hours posing all but one of my flock for Brian, photographer from the Washington Post newspaper. The last one only because the wind started to whip up and he was afraid it would rain. I'm surprised at how calm my chooks became after I caught each one, brought them out of their run, and posed them one at a time on the picnic table with a sky blue backdrop behind them. The article will be in this weekends edition and Brian thinks they will use a lot of his pictures. Considering the story is about roosters perhaps he will be wrong and it will only be of Repecca/Roopecca/Mr. Pecca Roo.
Crickets now for my good girls and Pecca.
That’s pretty cool.

I think the article was well written... some of the comments are harsh... But that's to be expected. Internet trolls are what they are.
True, most are harsh. But that is s no surprise. I have 6 females for eggs.
I get eggs, sometimes neighbors get eggs. These aren't the type raised in mass markets. LO, BO, PBR, SLW, EE. Might get a few more. Might let a broody hatch some. Extra males will eventually be invited to dinner. I dont allow eggs to stay in the nests so if my single Male does get lucky no one will ever know. The eggs are washed, oiled, and refrigerated within 24 hours. Those comments were made in ignorance of any other facts not part of the article. There was a point the article was making and that was as far as the reporter was going to take it. It wasn't about what to do with fertile eggs or do you eat your birds. It was making a point about what happens when you want to raise hens for eggs and maybe meat but get a Male. My Male is my pet. He looks out for the ladies. If I decide to raise chicks from him I'll candle before I store them. New males would be tasty I'm sure.

Article was well written, but it was drastically pet-centric, which I think is unbalanced, in more ways than one.

Even after she said she wanted to hear about those who ate their cock/erels.
Finally, I'd also like to speak to people who decided that the best solution was...rooster for dinner. (How did you prepare it? How did it taste?)
The only references for using males for meat was "Those less attached to a rooster might make it a meal." Which the guy who sells tens of thousands of no crow collars thought "...not overly worth the effort."..and something about 'not breeds for meat'(paraphrased).

Just another fluff piece focusing on Romance and not Reality.
There were more than several people willing to share their experiences about slaughtering, butchering, cooking of 'extra' cock/erels.....and she chose to ignore them, shabby journalism.

Article was well written, but it was drastically pet-centric, which I think is unbalanced, in more ways than one.

The only references for using males for meat was "Those less attached to a rooster might make it a meal." Which the guy who sells tens of thousands of no crow collars thought "...not overly worth the effort."..and something about 'not breeds for meat'(paraphrased).

There were more than several people willing to share their experiences about slaughtering, butchering, cooking of 'extra' cock/erels.....and she chose to ignore them, shabby journalism.

I agree with that as well. It was definetly written from the point of view of the backyard flock manager, not somebody who lives in the country and can have a larger flock, and can/will cull to the freezer anybody they don't want to deal with.

I agree. I was very disappointed with the article's content and how it was written. Eating extra cockerels is probably one of the best ways to deal with the issue and it was all but ignored, practically tried to make it sound negative. And aside from the lose string, there was no mention of how dangerous no-crow collars can be or that cockerels/roosters have actually died from them.

I agree with that as well. It was definetly written from the point of view of the backyard flock manager, not somebody who lives in the country and can have a larger flock, and can/will cull to the freezer anybody they don't want to deal with.
Plenty of folks who don't live out 'in the country' hatch chicks and can end up with multiple males...just 3 males would make slaughtering worth it for the meat instead of trying to have them 'rescued'.

Back
Top Bottom