Reporting violations of city ordinances

pdp1

Hatching
6 Years
May 30, 2013
I first want to say that I am not a chicken owner, but as the title suggests, we have a neighbor (immediately next door) that is a chicken owner and has violated multiple city ordinances. I'm a pretty easy going, keep to myself, kind of guy and don't want to cause any ruckus in the neighborhood, especially since we're the newest people on the block, but I'm tempted to report it to the city and wanted to get some chicken owners' thougts.

First, the biggest problem is that our city has a no rooster ordinance and they have a rooster than crows at all hours, oftentimes in the middle of the night at 3 or 4am! Needless to say, it interferes with our sleep quite often, and we've been here for over 3 months, I do not think it is something will get used to.

Second, their coop is right against our backyard fence, which violates another ordinance; it needs to be 40' away from the fence. This one isn't as big of a deal for us. We often see feathers in our yard from the hens, but it hasn't gotten to a point where we can't stand it (unlike the rooster). So I'm hesitant to mention this part at all, but if the city comes to take a look at the rooster situation, they will probably find the coop situation as well... and I don't want to cause any inconvenience for the hens.

Like I said, I'm a pretty mellow guy and I don't want to confront them in person to make it personal. Besides, what would I say? "Please get rid of your pet rooster?" Also, even though they are right next door, their front door is far enough from our front door so that we don't see them often, in fact, I haven't officially met them. And before you think I'm completely anti-social or something, we've actually met all our other immediate neighbors that are closer. It just so happens we are at the bottom of a hill at the end of a cul-de-sac; there are 5 houses at the bottom that are kind of separated from the rest of the street, our house is on the border. Also, when I ask other neighbors about the rooster, they just kind of give me a smirk and say something like, "Oh yeah, the ROOSTER..." Perhaps they aren't bothered by it enough since they're not the immediate next door neighbor.

Ok, sorry for the long back story, but like I said, I just wanted to know if you think there is anything I should do or just go ahead and report the rooster to the city.

I personally think that you should try and talk to them first. Most people would rather have a civil discussion then have someone report them without even peacefully trying to resolve the situation. They may be willing to do something. If they are not willing to listen, then do what you have to do but you wouldn't be the " new jerk neighbors that tried ( or did) get them into trouble." NOT a good way to Foster good will in the neighborhood.

I agree about talking to them first. Let them have an opportunity to fix the issue. You definitely don't want to feel uncomfortable in your neighborhood.. I've had to deal with that in the past and don't want to again! Next door neighbors can make you pretty miserable if they want to. Now are the hens allowed by law? If they only would have to get rid of the rooster & move the coop, then it's not that much of an inconvience for them to accommodate you.

also agree please talk to the person before running to the city! give them a good chance to fix the problem like civil adults. no reason to cause a huge problem for the person. simply ask to get rid of the rooster. I'm assuming the chickens themselves don't bother you do they? I'm sure he will be happy to correct the issue.

I agree about talking to them first. Let them have an opportunity to fix the issue. You definitely don't want to feel uncomfortable in your neighborhood.. I've had to deal with that in the past and don't want to again! Next door neighbors can make you pretty miserable if they want to. Now are the hens allowed by law? If they only would have to get rid of the rooster & move the coop, then it's not that much of an inconvience for them to accommodate you.

To answer your question, yes, 5 hens are allowed, and we don't have a problem with that. In fact, I'm not even bent on having them moving the coop, but it would be nice if they did.

As much as I don't want to talk to them in person, I do have a feeling it would be the right thing. But I really don't know what to say; would there be a fix to the issue other than getting rid of the rooster? I'm not sure how to bring up a topic like getting rid of a pet, especially since we haven't spoken to each other yet.

Last edited:
To answer your question, yes, 5 hens are allowed, and we don't have a problem with that. In fact, I'm not even bent on having them moving the coop, but it would be nice if they did.

As much as I don't want to talk to them in person, I do have a feeling it would be the right thing. But I really don't know what to say; would there be a fix to the issue other than getting rid of the rooster? I'm not sure how to bring up a topic like getting rid of a pet.
Would fresh eggs help you with the rooster?
This has to be the chicken owners night mare. All along the neighbors have been fine with how things were done. Then bam the nearest neighbor moves and the person who moves in does NOT like how things are. So did you see the chickens when you looked at the house? Did you know there was a rooster? If so how did you plan on dealing with it? Or did you just figure you could make them get rid of it?

Last edited:
Would fresh eggs help you with the rooster?

Hehe, can the fresh eggs give me back 30 min to 1 hour of sleep each night? :) Unfortunately, I don't think it will. Do hens need a rooster around to lay eggs? I don't think so right?

As much as I don't want to talk to them in person, I do have a feeling it would be the right thing. But I really don't know what to say; would there be a fix to the issue other than getting rid of the rooster? I'm not sure how to bring up a topic like getting rid of a pet, especially since we haven't spoken to each other yet.

That is tough, I do admit. One of our neighbors keeps dumping their trash in a wooded area of our property because they think we won't notice.. and I still haven't said something because I don't want to cause a problem. I'd start by just trying to introduce yourself to them if you can catch them out, and ask them how they like having chickens, do they get a lot of eggs, etc. Then maybe just ask if the rooster is staying permanently or just temporarily. You can probably tell by their attitude if they are willing to do something about it. If I were them, I'd feel awful that one of my animals is bothering you & I'd want to make you happy.

no hens do not need a rooster. in fact my flock is rooster free because I don't want to bother my neighbors. I still get eggs every day. when raising my babes I had two roosters they were out of here as SOON as they started to Crow. last thing I want is to bother my neighbors. I re homed both. so he should understand.

A hen will lay happily whether or not a roo is there to fertilize them. Perhaps you could look into how to help reduce crowing, such as the use of artificial lights so you can come to them with helpful suggestions besides the roo has got to go. They may need him if they raise chicks or sell fertile eggs, or maybe he is a beloved pet. If that's so, then it will be harder to convince them to rehome it. Plus people tend to dislike ultimatums. If you approach wanting to discuss crowing reduction with researched tips, you may find them more receptive.

Back
Top Bottom