Reproductive infection

Is there anything more i can do for her? Would electrolytes be a good idea? Would she be better off isolated? Is there anything I should look for in terms of deteriorating? Sorry for all the questions.

Questions are terrific things. It's how we share information and knowledge.

Keeping her with her friends is best for her unless they're harassing her. I happen to have a hen with just such an infection that is very sick, probably not going to make it, but she seems to gain strength from being in the middle of flock activity.

The important things are making sure she's eating and drinking. And if she stops, you may need to get creative with different foods to keep her eating. Same with water.

Probiotics are good to give her to keep her digestive tract active.

She seems to be passing more yellow. Shes perked up some eating from normal feeder. I took her some electrolyte water this morning and she was very interested. Today is day 5 amoxicillin should I keep giving it?

Attachments

• 53B5B7B4-A416-42B7-A9FA-02D8C217BD25.jpeg
    53B5B7B4-A416-42B7-A9FA-02D8C217BD25.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 65355A18-1CD8-48CA-B840-D3CAC8A6C35E.png
    65355A18-1CD8-48CA-B840-D3CAC8A6C35E.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • B1CBADE8-DAA2-4FF9-9A4D-5D14250103B9.jpeg
    B1CBADE8-DAA2-4FF9-9A4D-5D14250103B9.jpeg
    872.4 KB · Views: 2
Gogo has improved some. She's eating more and a little more activity. Still pooping yellow. Shes on day 11 of antibiotics i had 12 days worth so im just giving her the 2 extra days.

Will she likely deteriorate when i run out or is it just a time will tell thing? Im assuming this is chronic at this point and i just want to make sure she's comfortable and happy.

An antibiotic is only as successful as the chicken's immune system is strong enough to assist it. If the immune system is not pulling its share of the workload, the antibiotic can only do so much. By this time, you would see definite results if the infection was successfully dealt with.

And yes, eventually, the bacteria will overwhelm the weak immune system and then organ failure will commence. It will be very obvious when that happens. No living organism is designed to live forever. We each have our expiration date. But accepting this doesn't make it any easier to lose one of our chickens.

This poor girl is not getting better! I hate watching her suffer. This morning she was outside laying oddly with her neck twisted I thought she had passed but she is still hanging on. I brought her inside she wont eat or drink .

How long can this go on? I feel selfish letting her suffer like this but I kept hoping she would get better. Should i be taking action to eliminate her suffering

Back
Top Bottom