Pics
Ahh okay that makes sense! What about this one for example? They have several more ads for the rest of the clutch and another but just using one for the example haha

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pet/d/natick-super-pastel-100-het-clown-ball/7336047040.html
Basically an add like this proves the person owns a pair of boas and nothing else. Breeding is easy but that doesn’t make it ethical.
That is my stance. If you feel differently about casual breeding then that is fine! But for me, personally, there is not a CL ad in the world that could convince me to go that route for reptiles. I would rather spend my dollars elsewhere.

Basically an add like this proves the person owns a pair of boas and nothing else. Breeding is easy but that doesn’t make it ethical.
That is my stance. If you feel differently about casual breeding then that is fine! But for me, personally, there is not a CL ad in the world that could convince me to go that route for reptiles. I would rather spend my dollars elsewhere.
Remember that many reptiles live longer than a dog. So why take a gamble on bad genetics or poor husbandry?
That all makes a lot of sense and I never really thought of it like that before. I don’t really feel any particular way about it tbh, or didn’t before; just don’t know about this sort of stuff like I do with dogs so had no way of knowing if it was different with reptiles or not or if they were bad specimens or whatever. Cause to my untrained eye they seemed like nice snakes but seeing now that it’s probably not great.

Although that said, and really not trying to argue or anything, just genuinely learn, couldn’t people at shows be sketch too? I mean I guess there’s less of a chance of it because I’m sure they probably have some sort of ethics thing or something to even be allowed in and maybe have to buy a table so less likely for bad people to get in there but I have seen some horror stories online so how to tell who’s necessarily better or worse or good or bad or whatever? Or if a snake has spider in it? Cause I’ve heard to avoid that too but how do you even know if it had it somewhere in its past or something or if someone is lying or whatever?

It’s all still pretty confusing and still trying to learn and everything which is why I wasn’t sure.

I definitely don’t want bad genetics or the snake equivalent of a BYB or whatever though so I’ll probably avoid it but seen some that, to me, looked nice both for snakes and even Leos so it was confusing I guess. And then there’s ones like that XYZ one that seem really flashy and nice at a glance but really are probably more of a mill? I’m still trying to sort through everything and figure out who’s good or not so that’s why I was asking but yeah. With dogs it’s sooo clear cut what a crappy specimen or breeder looks like but it’s proving more difficult with reptiles

That all makes a lot of sense and I never really thought of it like that before. I don’t really feel any particular way about it tbh, or didn’t before; just don’t know about this sort of stuff like I do with dogs so had no way of knowing if it was different with reptiles or not or if they were bad specimens or whatever. Cause to my untrained eye they seemed like nice snakes but seeing now that it’s probably not great.

Although that said, and really not trying to argue or anything, just genuinely learn, couldn’t people at shows be sketch too? I mean I guess there’s less of a chance of it because I’m sure they probably have some sort of ethics thing or something to even be allowed in and maybe have to buy a table so less likely for bad people to get in there but I have seen some horror stories online so how to tell who’s necessarily better or worse or good or bad or whatever? Or if a snake has spider in it? Cause I’ve heard to avoid that too but how do you even know if it had it somewhere in its past or something or if someone is lying or whatever?

It’s all still pretty confusing and still trying to learn and everything which is why I wasn’t sure.

I definitely don’t want bad genetics or the snake equivalent of a BYB or whatever though so I’ll probably avoid it but seen some that, to me, looked nice both for snakes and even Leos so it was confusing I guess. And then there’s ones like that XYZ one that seem really flashy and nice at a glance but really are probably more of a mill? I’m still trying to sort through everything and figure out who’s good or not so that’s why I was asking but yeah. With dogs it’s sooo clear cut what a crappy specimen or breeder looks like but it’s proving more difficult with reptiles
For shopping online, you can’t judge based solely on photos. Focus on things like how much vs how little information they are providing, how many different species they sell. That isn’t any different than dog breeders really.

I have a personal no CL policy because that works for me. And because trying to assess individual adds on a cas by case basis is both risky and stressful. So I don’t do it.

Participation in an Expo costs money which weeds out casual breeders. And you can look at the animals in person, learn about the vendor etc. which counts for a lot.

For shopping online, you can’t judge based solely on photos. Focus on things like how much vs how little information they are providing, how many different species they sell. That isn’t any different than dog breeders really.

I have a personal no CL policy because that works for me. And because trying to assess individual adds on a cas by case basis is both risky and stressful. So I don’t do it.

Participation in an Expo costs money which weeds out casual breeders. And you can look at the animals in person, learn about the vendor etc. which counts for a lot.
Thanks again! And sorry :oops:

I guess anybody can buy a professional camera or get an attachment for their iPhone these days and look great huh? Sort of like how puppy mills always have the most cutesy photos and flashy websites and always talk lots about their family and kids? Gotta see past that stuff I suppose which will hopefully come easier as I learn more. I have heard that I should be looking for someone that makes sure the animal eats at least a few meals before they leave?

And yeah, definitely stressful trying to find a good one! Although right now, since I don’t really know any better, basically every one has been wow look at that pretty snake! 😂:oops: I’m learning though. Albeit slowly hahah

Those are great points too! I think getting to see and handle different animals too and compare ones I’m interested in or whatever will help a lot too. Cause there’s several species I’m interested in but they all sound amazing so has been hard to narrow down. So maybe an expo would be best after all to help with that.

Even with the most reputable online breeder, you can’t usually see and hold the animals in person and are relying on just their word which makes me a little nervous. Of course with a reputable, established breeder there’s far less risk than with CL but there is still some there. I feel like it’d be better to go meet people and snakes in person and then even if I don’t find one, maybe they know of someone.

Thanks again! And sorry :oops:

I guess anybody can buy a professional camera or get an attachment for their iPhone these days and look great huh? Sort of like how puppy mills always have the most cutesy photos and flashy websites and always talk lots about their family and kids? Gotta see past that stuff I suppose which will hopefully come easier as I learn more. I have heard that I should be looking for someone that makes sure the animal eats at least a few meals before they leave?

And yeah, definitely stressful trying to find a good one! Although right now, since I don’t really know any better, basically every one has been wow look at that pretty snake! 😂:oops: I’m learning though. Albeit slowly hahah

Those are great points too! I think getting to see and handle different animals too and compare ones I’m interested in or whatever will help a lot too. Cause there’s several species I’m interested in but they all sound amazing so has been hard to narrow down. So maybe an expo would be best after all to help with that.

Even with the most reputable online breeder, you can’t usually see and hold the animals in person and are relying on just their word which makes me a little nervous. Of course with a reputable, established breeder there’s far less risk than with CL but there is still some there. I feel like it’d be better to go meet people and snakes in person and then even if I don’t find one, maybe they know of someone.
Sounds like you are narrowing down the type of buying situation you feel comfortable with. And that is a huge step! If you don’t feel 100% comfortable with online, then don’t go that route. Consider you in person options: private individual, store, or expo. Think about the pros or cons and decide what option is most appealing. Then look for specific options (like specific adds). That makes it a little less overwhelming if you go general to specific like that :hugs

Sounds like you are narrowing down the type of buying situation you feel comfortable with. And that is a huge step! If you don’t feel 100% comfortable with online, then don’t go that route. Consider you in person options: private individual, store, or expo. Think about the pros or cons and decide what option is most appealing. Then look for specific options (like specific adds). That makes it a little less overwhelming if you go general to specific like that :hugs
Thank you so much! You’ve been really helpful! The whole online thing is just still a little weird and new to me I guess. Especially how some of them say you can have your animal the next day or within a few days or whatever. To me that’s weird cause it’s a living thing haha but then again I’ve bought chicks online several times which I forgot about for a sec so I guess maybe not that different? But reptiles live a lot longer and you don’t specific specimens with chicks. I would never buy a dog or whatever online for example haha so weird how you can just order animals now like you can a book from Amazon 😂 it’s really cool though but I feel like I’d like to see the animal. Then again I still bank exclusively in person too cause I like going in 😂🙈

Back
Top Bottom