Pics
@TheDawg my .02c on your first snake.

Obtaining: Please avoid CL. Even if the snake is in perfect health, it will probably not be the EXACT one you want. In my experience, owning one snake is as enjoyable as owning 6 (have done both) so at least to start, just get one and plan to just have one. One you LOVE. The online retailers can work, but with the USPS how it is, and it being the hottest months of the year, it is not the greatest option. Also, buying an animal with a 30 year life span without laying eyes on it first just puts a bad taste in my mouth. The answer...EXPO!! There is one in Boston and one in Manchester NH a few times a year. They are soooo fun and you can see the animals and speak to the breeders and get all the food/suppluies you need for your snake right there. I recently bought Lilith my boa at the Manchester expo and it was a fabulous experience, one of many I have had purchasing reptiles at expos. I also have life long support from the breeder, Noa's Boas.
Choosing: Obviously this is all preference/opinion, but why spend money/drool over BP morphs. BPs in my opinion are boring pets, hiding a lot and curling up when held. If you are set on one, why not a "normal"? They are sooo beautiful, with a variance in colors from light brown and cream to deep black and gold. But even better, think about some other species! There are so many beautiful "normal" species that there is something for everyone's fancy. From desert to high rainforests beautiful snakes abound. Research a few species and fall in love with their way of life as well as them. Do you want to see your snake burrow? Tree climb? Pounce on food? Gently accept it? Explore when held? Defensive? There are so many options and for me, BPs just don't check enough boxes.

I have had many snakes and even more reptiles. I love talking about them and would love to help you if you have any questions please fell free to ask!
Thanks for all the input and advice and everything! It’s helpful! I did actually find that Manchester one I think but it was the other day I think 😭 I had to dog sit so I couldn’t plus I’m actually not looking at getting one immediately anyway. We’re moving soon so it’s not a good time so the heat thing isn’t really a concern and everything. It probably won’t be until at least the fall if not next year. I THINK there’s another expo in October that might work. Otherwise next spring probably. I believe there is a smaller expo local to me, a few towns over, this summer but idk how big of a selection they’d have. It’s not tiny but not huge either. I didn’t know about the Boston one either. That’s cool.

As for the BPs, I actually kinda like that they’re chill cause I thought maybe I could like watch movies or just walk around with it and not have to worry about it escaping or getting bit or anything. And TBH I’m not a huge normal fan :oops: most of them aren’t very pretty to me BUT! I do like some of the darker ones. Those are better to me than the super light ones. And of course normals would be way cheaper especially for a first snake. But at the same time, if I’m going to get a BP, I’d rather it be a color I like, you know? But I’m still not sure on BPs.

I’m also strongly considering Corns, KSBs, and Hognoses. They’re all strong contenders. I just like looking at the pretty pictures of them mostly and thinking about it for the future atm. But I do also like how chill the BPs are. I do like the active ones too though. I wanted a corn too but then I’ve heard some of them are kind of mean? So that’s why I was leaning more BP. Plus the one I saw at the show that was just so chill about being held. I like that hahah but KSBs are pretty high contenders now too since they seem like such cool snakes and maybe a bit more active. Although they hide a lot too. Idk. There’s lots of species I want. Not just BP. But those are just the ones with the most colors to look at. It’s kind of fun to look at the super high end thousands of dollars ones sometimes even though I know I could never get one :lau and there’s cheaper ones too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input and advice and everything! It’s helpful! I did actually find that Manchester one I think but it was the other day I think 😭 I had to dog sit so I couldn’t plus I’m actually not looking at getting one immediately anyway. We’re moving soon so it’s not a good time so the heat thing isn’t really a concern and everything. It probably won’t be until at least the fall if not next year. I THINK there’s another expo in October that might work. Otherwise next spring probably. I believe there is a smaller expo local to me, a few towns over, this summer but idk how big of a selection they’d have. It’s not tiny but not huge either. I didn’t know about the Boston one either. That’s cool.

As for the BPs, I actually kinda like that they’re chill cause I thought maybe I could like watch movies or just walk around with it and not have to worry about it escaping or getting bit or anything. And TBH I’m not a huge normal fan :oops: most of them aren’t very pretty to me BUT! I do like some of the darker ones. Those are better to me than the super light ones. And of course normals would be way cheaper especially for a first snake. But at the same time, if I’m going to get a BP, I’d rather it be a color I like, you know? But I’m still not sure on BPs.

I’m also strongly considering Corns, KSBs, and Hognoses. They’re all strong contenders. I just like looking at the pretty pictures of them mostly and thinking about it for the future atm. But I do also like how chill the BPs are. I do like the active ones too though. I wanted a corn too but then I’ve heard some of them are kind of mean? So that’s why I was leaning more BP. Plus the one I saw at the show that was just so chill about being held. I like that hahah but KSBs are pretty high contenders now too since they seem like such cool snakes and maybe a bit more active. Although they hide a lot too. Idk. There’s lots of species I want. Not just BP. But those are just the ones with the most colors to look at. It’s kind of fun to look at the super high end thousands of dollars ones sometimes even though I know I could never get one :lau and there’s cheaper ones too.
Everything you are saying is very reasonable. Thousands if not millions of people own BPs and love them! I don't mean to discourage you, just sharing some info. And hey, if you love the morphs, do you sista!

The manchester expo was March 28th, but there is another one in October. It is only 10 bucks so it may be worth going just to look around, even if you are not ready to buy.

I think all the other species you named have really cool merits to them, and since you are not new to keeping animals in general I don't think any of those would pose any real husbandry challenges to you. Of the three I have owned a corn. They also come in MANY morphs btw. She was a calm but inquisitive, curious snake. You are on the right track. :) Keep asking questions and learning and one day you will find your snek baby.

Lastly, I will enable your pbsession a bit with three words. "Brazilian Rainbow Boa". Check em out. :oops:

(not my photo)

1624378525217.png

Everything you are saying is very reasonable. Thousands if not millions of people own BPs and love them! I don't mean to discourage you, just sharing some info. And hey, if you love the morphs, do you sista!

The manchester expo was March 28th, but there is another one in October. It is only 10 bucks so it may be worth going just to look around, even if you are not ready to buy.

I think all the other species you named have really cool merits to them, and since you are not new to keeping animals in general I don't think any of those would pose any real husbandry challenges to you. Of the three I have owned a corn. They also come in MANY morphs btw. She was a calm but inquisitive, curious snake. You are on the right track. :) Keep asking questions and learning and one day you will find your snek baby.

Lastly, I will enable your pbsession a bit with three words. "Brazilian Rainbow Boa". Check em out. :oops:

(not my photo)

View attachment 2729850
Thank you so much again!! I really appreciate all the info!! :love

And ah okay I wasn’t sure cause on the website it had mentioned another one this month? Maybe they canceled or something? Or is this a different one ?

https://reptileexpo.com/manchester-nh-main-page.html
Maybe I’ll have to give Corns some more consideration! I really do like them :love I saw a huge corn at the reptile place. I’ll find the pic hahah I didn’t realize they came in so many morphs though. I could only find a few. Might have to dive into those next 😁

Those are gorgeous!! :love

Thank you so much again!! I really appreciate all the info!! :love

And ah okay I wasn’t sure cause on the website it had mentioned another one this month? Maybe they canceled or something? Or is this a different one ?

https://reptileexpo.com/manchester-nh-main-page.html
Maybe I’ll have to give Corns some more consideration! I really do like them :love I saw a huge corn at the reptile place. I’ll find the pic hahah I didn’t realize they came in so many morphs though. I could only find a few. Might have to dive into those next 😁

Those are gorgeous!! :love
That is the expo I went to. I didn't realize they had one in between march and october. Nice!

Back
Top Bottom