20211214_180737.jpg

I'm making a fake clay log for Peanut(leopard gecko). It will eventually be fired. This is the first time I've made anything like this and I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this or if anyone has some information about it. I've read that the clay is reptile safe, but hard to clean. When it's done I'm planning on gluing some fake aquarium plant pieces onto it, and possibly some of sphagnum moss, too for looks. Does anyone see any possible problems this thing might cause?

View attachment 2931298
I'm making a fake clay log for Peanut(leopard gecko). It will eventually be fired. This is the first time I've made anything like this and I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this or if anyone has some information about it. I've read that the clay is reptile safe, but hard to clean. When it's done I'm planning on gluing some fake aquarium plant pieces onto it, and possibly some of sphagnum moss, too for looks. Does anyone see any possible problems this thing might cause?
You might want to seal that with glaze or some other coating because clay is porous. It will take on water and harbour bacteria. It looks super neat, though! Perhaps you could put it in the oven to sterilise like you would with a real log after firing but I don't know if it would damage the clay or make it crack over time being reheated

You might want to seal that with glaze or some other coating because clay is porous. It will take on water and harbour bacteria. It looks super neat, though! Perhaps you could put it in the oven to sterilise like you would with a real log after firing but I don't know if it would damage the clay or make it crack over time being reheated
I was thinking that glaze would be too slippery for leopard gecko feet. I'm not very familiar with clay, but I think that you may be able to reheat it as long as it's in there while the oven is preheating. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any problems with humidity once it's done, thank you, I didn't think of that!

I was thinking that glaze would be too slippery for leopard gecko feet. I'm not very familiar with clay, but I think that you may be able to reheat it as long as it's in there while the oven is preheating. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any problems with humidity once it's done, thank you, I didn't think of that!
Maybe you could do a textured glaze? I’m sure there’s ones you could perhaps stipple in on a thick application? Or would it just all smooth out in the firing process? I haven’t touched ceramic since I was in school

Back
Top Bottom