Requesting Advice...Before Monday!

Yes, I do want to keep my job, and as far as a response or not, I still rely on the manners I was taught by my mother a half a century ago, especially since I have raise five young adults.

There was a time I was never going to have children and wasn't worried about a thing, a time when I would have reacted to this "gift" in a way that he'd have no problem understanding it was inappropriate and I, a person not to be crossed. Now, I'm no longer under the protection of a man and people are beginning to forget to fear and/or respect...something that just floors me!

I do have a very protective hunting dog I rescued and kept, I am thinking it may be time for Bully to accompany me to the office, daily. He could be on a leash and is well trained to sit/stay and I would once more have respect and manners. Otherwise, one of my old jobs is once again available...at the hospital. Or, I might tell him how I have no problem w/Lorena Bobbit since I recently dubbed my roo...catch my drift?

EEww! I don't want to know or think if anyone has the hots for me! Just the matter of what he wrote and the money enclosed was out of line- his son comes to the office every day after school.

In some ways, as much as the world has changed from the 1960's to 2008, some things have not...like, was the slap in the face (reality?) a way to say I shouldn't have been anywhere near his house, though I was thinking of his two children and how wonderful fresh eggs are compared to (ugh!) store bought?

Debira- that saying what happens, stays...since all towns are small towns and small minded...in our town as in any other area, everyone knows what you did or what happened before it even happened...that's the funny thing about that young saying, its specifically untrue! In my mother's time, when I was a child, she'd never have dropped eggs off anywhere as the entire town would say she was "sleeping" with so and so...and now in my time, is this a reminder? If any men read any of this, they will know what I'm talking about and so do the women my age or more. Self inflicted.

And, I do appreciate the comment from one woman, that its not my fault, as women my age were taught something like this we brought about ourselves by our (thoughtful/thoughtless) action.

If my two eldest sons were here, there'd be no worry, he'd never have had the nerve to begin with. I am seeing many reasons why I should be living near my first grandchild, near my very protective sons and in a warmer climate for my farm to have fun w/my grand child(ren). Soon.

honestly, I would bring him the change from whatever the eggs would have cost ( if $7, then he needs $33 back), and say, "You know, I didn't even realize it until it was too late, but I think you must have mixed the contents of my card up with somebody else's. Here's your change, and again, I'm sorry, but I actually used the card already, before I even saw the writing on it. I wondered why there was so much extra, sorry about that ~ hoped you liked the eggs."

I agree with the whole ~keep it very professional ~ attitude. If he persists, THEN you can be more ... direct. Totally act as though it was a simple mistake, and treat him coolly ~ professionally ~ thereafter. That will allow him to save face, and thereby you to save your job, and also allow you to save face, just in case it truly WAS an accident of some sort. That way , you can both have your dignity without adding a lot of drama to the workplace and to your own life. If it wasn't an accident, it will be painfully clear rather quickly, and then you can take him to town.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Let us know what happens ~
~Red

Thank you, Red, that was just what I was looking for but was too confounded:) I'm going with your answer.
And. my neighbors, a married couple who are my wonderful partners in chickens have decided we will only sell eggs from their house every Monday night. People will come to get them and bring their own containers or her husband will bring them to work for pick up.

Thanks, everyone, I was beginning to feel like when I was a child, that it is sometimes horrible to be reminded we are women, until Redhead's answer to this problem! I still will enjoy Writerofwords answer for some time to come;)

Ok, I attract the loonies too, but I honestly think he was just trying to be nice. What you did by dropping by with the eggs was a nice thing to do. He said you were beautiful, maybe he sees you for how you are, a kind loving person. He didn't right, to a hot momma! He may lack class the secret admirer part was weird, but maybe his way of being funny! He may just admire how wonderful a person you are for helping him out.
Keep the money and write a thank you note for the bonus. If he does start acting funny, then nip it in the butt! He may have meant nothing but it at all, some men are just helpless flirts. My boss is sorta a perv, but harmless to say the least.
But then again I'm very naive, and also too trusting!
Spend the bonus on yourself and do not feel guilty!
Brenda

What Red said. In this economy you don't really want to lose your job. Wait and see and if it gets worse then definitely file a harassment suit. But for now chalk it up to the drunken compliment of a juvenile idiot and ignore him. Boys can be stupid (whether they're 16 or 60!).

Just tell him you wish ALL of your customers would pay $40 for a dozen eggs!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom