Rescue Barred Rock- Help!

Chookmama4

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2018
Hi, recently we rescued an older barred rock hen who was being abused by the flocks rooster. We took her with us to join our flock of four. She’s in quarantine before I introduce her to our girls, but I notice she’s in bad shape. Miskept feathers, pale comb with some scabbing, swollen feet, lethargic disposition, and her vent and belly are covered in tiny grey mites? Lice? They’ve collected on the shaft of the feathers in that area. We gave her a thorough dust bath with DE as that’s all we had on hand. We also rubbed her legs with petroleum. This morning she’s more alert but definitely still in discomfort. I’m a fairly new flock owner, and raised my current girls from hatchlings and haven’t had to deal with this yet and fairly overwhelmed with how to go about treating her. Any and all advice on how to de-infest her and help her heal is greatly needed.

You can spray her with permethrin and give her a higher protien feed to get those feathers coming back in quickly. She might be dehydrated as well, I'd offer her electrolyte water, and if her legs are still swollen really bad, give her a couple of soaks in a warm Epsom salt bath.

This is great thank you. Is it possible to wipe out the infestation wholly? I’ve read that parasites are just a normality of owning chickens, but I don’t want to expose my younger hens to it if I can’t completely eradicate them on the barred rock. What preventative measures can I take with my exsisting flock?

This is great thank you. Is it possible to wipe out the infestation wholly? I’ve read that parasites are just a normality of owning chickens, but I don’t want to expose my younger hens to it if I can’t completely eradicate them on the barred rock. What preventative measures can I take with my exsisting flock?
Spray your entire coop today and again in 7 days and then again in 7 more days to wipe the bugs out.
I would go ahead and spray ever bird now too, not just this one.

Back
Top Bottom