Rescue Barred Rock- Help!

It sounds like she may have scaly leg mites also. You can coat her legs with vaseline or baby oil to treat those. Pics of her legs would help confirm that that is the swelling, or she may have something else going on there.

I’ll send some later today when I can! I rubbed a thick layer on before bed last night. She was up and running around this morning so she seems to be a little less uncomfortable.

It sounds like she may have scaly leg mites also. You can coat her legs with vaseline or baby oil to treat those. Pics of her legs would help confirm that that is the swelling, or she may have something else going on there.

Here are some follow up pictures. Tonight we did a permethrin dusting, and am epsom salt foot soak and rubbed Vaseline on after.

There’s several photos of her underbelly, feet, and vent area. They’re pretty dusty so it’s hard to tell if it’s lice or mites or something else. But I noticed on her underbelly she had large flakes of (skin?) around the feather shaft that came off pretty easily.
I wonder if that’s a side effect of the mites or lice or perhaps just a lack of grooming.

Attachments

• C68DCA66-C40D-4414-915F-5284B7F7E480.jpeg
    C68DCA66-C40D-4414-915F-5284B7F7E480.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 1C542A42-F67F-47CB-98F0-DCF7D5AC6A1B.jpeg
    1C542A42-F67F-47CB-98F0-DCF7D5AC6A1B.jpeg
    657.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 85921054-1DE9-471B-A584-80135ABED8A5.jpeg
    85921054-1DE9-471B-A584-80135ABED8A5.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 7127F622-DB96-42CD-8879-7C8B5A71CF63.jpeg
    7127F622-DB96-42CD-8879-7C8B5A71CF63.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 38
  • FFECC695-1359-4F6A-8716-C85804D09AA9.jpeg
    FFECC695-1359-4F6A-8716-C85804D09AA9.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 40
She’s a lucky girl to have you adopt her. Yes her back end looks like she hasn’t had a dust bath in a long time. You might want to put her in a soak bath just to get that all cleaned up. Sometimes when they sit and hide they’re sitting in some wet cruddy stuff.
With some TLC she’s going to be doing better in a relatively short amount of time. Best wishes

i would even add some liquid permethrin to the soak. She's a mess. She might enjoy a spa and a nice warm blow dry fluffing. Then a dusting of more permethrin. Slather her legs and let her have access to a good dust bath on her terms with DE in it.

Should I soak more than her legs? Soak her belly and vent area too? Those are the areas with the most buildup. I have liquid permethrin but I’m not sure how much to use per gallon.

Yup warm water up to her shoulders. Just keep her head and face dry and from going under. Hold tight. Shell fight at first the settle into it. Hold on to her so she doesnt slide under. Wear gloves and get comfy. Have warm clean water ready to dip her in to rinse. You can lightly slosh the water around to loosen stuff. Dont rubb to vigorously dont rub to dry. Gentle heat on blow dryer to dry. After you squeeze most water out with a towel.

Prepare to be grossed out. No bug powders on her until she's totally dry.

Yup warm water up to her shoulders. Just keep her head and face dry and from going under. Hold tight. Shell fight at first the settle into it. Hold on to her so she doesnt slide under. Wear gloves and get comfy. Have warm clean water ready to dip her in to rinse. You can lightly slosh the water around to loosen stuff. Dont rubb to vigorously dont rub to dry. Gentle heat on blow dryer to dry. After you squeeze most water out with a towel.

Prepare to be grossed out. No bug powders on her until she's totally dry.
Very good advice. Some chickens (mine) LOVE a nice warm soak! They fall asleep-so don’t leave her alone. Get a chair so You’ll be comfy. I have a (3gal) water can full of water handy I’ll dump and refill her little tub. I use the can cause it’s easier to do it all one handed (I’ll hold the girl while refilling.)
She might not even put up the least bit of resistance.
Once they know what a soak is they come to love them.
Have a hen who I’d soak 3-4 times a week in the beginning of her treatment for a terrible wound. When it was time to stop soaking her she would look up at her tub on the shelf in the garage like “hey! I want that” too funny.
Send us some updated pictures please when ever you get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom