Rescue Barred Rock- Help!

Give her a chance. Bath day, the move, and everything else was stressful skipping eggs this time of year is no big deal.

You can palpate her but or put a finger in her vent to see if you feel an egg.

Is she eating and drinking enough?

Her legs might sting/ache from infestation.

Hang in there.

Give her a chance. Bath day, the move, and everything else was stressful skipping eggs this time of year is no big deal.

You can palpate her but or put a finger in her vent to see if you feel an egg.

Is she eating and drinking enough?

Her legs might sting/ache from infestation.

Hang in there.

She’s eating but seems disinterested in water. We have her a crushed up tums just incase. I’m hoping it’s just stress from the move and the treatments causing her to skip. I’ll palpate her tonight and see what’s up. Thanks again!

My regular laying hens skipped a day because of a bad storm. It happens. Ironically the suggested treatment for being egg bound is a soak!
She’s been through a lot give her some time. Thanks for the update.

any updates?

Sorry! She’s doing better! I’ve checked her vent at least once a day, she’s all clear but we still have two more dust baths with the permethrin before were 100%. Her legs seem to be much better too. Scabs on her comb are healing up slowly. She’s been getting scrambled egg with a few meal worms once a day. Now that she’s feeling better I’ve been trying to earn her trust through a little cut up strawberries or bananas. Slowly and surely she’s getting there, and I can’t thank y’all enough for the help! Here’s a photo of her exploring the house.

Attachments

• 6864357F-D806-45BC-A1D6-68EEAE250385.jpeg
    6864357F-D806-45BC-A1D6-68EEAE250385.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 30
:thumbsup Love the little bit of “attitude” in her pose.
It’s like she’s saying “Whut?”

Yes! She’s got serious ’tude. Always pecks at me before I pick her up, and never wants to roost. I’ve read that broody hens can loose their place in the pecking order and I’m wondering if that’s what caused her to get bullied by her old flock. My other hens aren’t laying yet so I have no reference for this odd behavior!

Ya it can. They usually come out of broodiness with chicks and are full of piss and vinegar and everyone stays out of their way. However if they take extended periods from the flock for any reason they are bumped and have to fight for their spot again.

I had one in chicken hospital for a month to heal a HUGE open gash from the rooster. She got knocked from #1 to #24. She sleeps in an outdoor nest box now, and I let her. She's about #12 now and just keeps to herself and with the younger pullets. Safety in groups I guess.

She looks great. Eggs with worms eh? Mmmmmmm. Yummy. Don't forget to let her have grit and calcium free choice. Just put it in a bowl by itself, she'll eat what she needs when she needs it.

Back
Top Bottom