Rescue chicks have not been in a brooder. What now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anitalogan, May 7, 2011.

1. anitalogan

anitalogan Out Of The Brooder

I am rescuing six 2-week old chicks, probably TSC chicks, that have NOT been kept in a brooder. She said that she kept them nice and toasty in her house.
    Now what? I am getting them tomorrow and can have a brooder all set up by then. Now I am very concerned about these chicks. Will anyone share their wisdom on chicks that have been at room temp for the first couple of weeks? Thanks.

2. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Personally I would set the brooder up and put them in. At 2 weeks they need the warmth! Heck I took my 2 six week old sultans who have been weaned of the lamp for two weeks and stuck them back under it the past few nights b/c it got cool in the garage!! [​IMG]
    - WTG for rescueing the babies!!

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:You will have to go out and buy a brooder heat lamp and bulb. It's fairly cheap for both. I use a 150 watt bulb in my wire dog kennel. I have pine bedding for their litter. They will need the heat lamp at least for 2 more weeks. I had my girls under the lamp until 5 1/2 weeks and weaned them off. It's best to put the waterer up on blocks, so less pine gets kicked in there. The chicks will need 24/7 access of food and water. Good luck. They grow very fast! Be prepared to move them into a larger brooder if needed.

4. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    If they are alive then they are fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by