Rescue dog with bloody diarrhea

You are a great person for saving the lives of those pups. Never let kennel cough scare ya - it is curable. You are doing the right thing, bring in the poop and see what it says. If that does not work bring in the dog. It might have something that is minor and by waiting it can turn to something major. Sounds like the new pups have a well loving home just need a little TLC
love.gif

Good for you!!! Thank you for helping!

As far as the diarrhea, I know she is skinny, but the diarrhea won't help her gain at all. After the worming treatment, you may try fasting her for a day, then feed nothing but over boiled rice until her stool firms up, then add boiled chicken slowly to the rice. As her stools (meaning her gut) gets better, you can gradually introduce her standard food. The diarrhea is caused but the inflammation of her gut that the parasites have caused. Until the inflammation is treated, she will continue with the diarrhea. I know you want to pour food into her and help her gain weight. The best way is to treat the problem, cure the inflammation, then fatten her up. It takes a while and it will grate on your nerves to have to move slowly, but trust me, this is the fastest way to help her. Even once the parasites are gone, if the inflammation isn't treated, the diarrhea and the weight issue will not get better.

I wish you the best and thank you again!

The diarrhea is not getting better, so I am going to the store today and buy a ton of rice. I already used all that we had in the house. I will feed her only that to see if it will clear up, if not we are going back Monday to start her on more meds for guardia I guess.

My vet said there was side effects to the meds and hard on their system, so he said to wait until Monday.

61077_nellie.jpg

Picture of Nellie

61077_isis_nellie.jpg

Playing with my Rott.

61077_delilah_nellie.jpg

Decided to move on and play with my Bermese.

She is adorable! When we got Mischa, one of our dogs, from a shelter in central PA she had a horrid case of hookworms, whipworms, tapeworms and giardia. It seems like it took forever to get a firm and clean BM from her. I feel your pain, it takes time but it is SO worth it. Remember to treat the other dogs she's been around, or she'll share the worms as well as the love.

Still diarrhea...
sad.png

Back to vet on Monday and I just wormed my 8 dogs as well as my folks 4 dogs because I'm taking care of them and they have all been in contact with her.
barnie.gif

You could give her two Imodium tablets and each time she had diarrhea after that give her another one for a total of 6. I would also not feed her for at least 12 hours and preferably 24 to let her intestines rest. She is just beautiful. Don't you just wonder how such dogs end up in a shelter? It's beyond me. Good for you.

Good for you! All your animals are BEAUTIFUL!!!

I used to work at a vet and sometimes with this combo- worms/ giardia/ cocci SOMETIMES it can take a long time and a lot of meds to clear it all up. Sometimes we would have to put the dog on like 3 different meds at once including deworming... Just keep workin' at it and she'll get better.

She sure is pretty!

Back
Top Bottom