Rescue Duck Eggs Pip Humidity??

Pacing

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
I have 6 mallard duck eggs on lockdown and to begin with I'm so scared! There was a 7 day window of not knowing exactly what day(s) they were all in the nest but Mom was seen sitting on them one day and next morning it appeared an animal had attacked her and killed her. Purchased a Kebonnixs incubator. 4 days ago put them in lockdown after reading volumes here and decided to be safe vs. sorry as many folk mentioned a few extra days in lockdown are fine. Had temp set to 99.5 until this morning and humidity at 55% until the last couple of days when I raised to 70%. One egg has been rocking here and there for a couple of those days and this morning I heard a peeping but not much rocking. I adjusted the humidity up to 77% or so but then it went up to 80% quickly so I kept cracking the lid to bring it back down. Also lowered the temperature to 98.5 as recommended. After this I-think-I'm-going-to-be-sick and elevated heart rate in my chest I noticed one of the eggs had an external pip. Must have happened overnight. Have I done damage opening and closing the lid? I can induce a rocking motion on another egg that I don't see an internal pip on when I hit the menu button on top (must wake it up) but not much else. Please advise! Also, no movement from the external pip egg. I don't know if I should take the lid off to get the egg to check for trouble or not. If I should, what about the humidity and temp loss, even if temporary as in under 15 seconds? So appreciate any input and sunshine vibes your all's way... Tagging @WVduckchick as I see them recommended a lot here.

Last edited:
Ms. Hannah @Hannahk92 !! I'd like to introduce Eggbert, Albert and Filbert Duck. The 3 amigos! 2 born last evening and Filbert was born this morning at 6:01 am!!! 3 more still to go (hoping!). You made this experience all it could be with your warm caring and getting involved when most wouldn't. Thank you Ms. Hannah! So... what's next? lol...

Edit: I'm sorry @Earthdale - still kinda exhausted and just assumed this was Ms. Hannah who held my hand all day yesterday, virtually. Results the same nonetheless! Thank you for checking in!!
3_amigos.jpg

Last edited:
By the way @Hannahk92 - or anyone else with a story or two - ... last night I had them in a small bin with towels and a heat plate and the 2 present did great. But, added Filbert this morning and after a bit they were quite active and trying to escape so I gave them a larger run. Watched them closely because of what you offered regarding mistaking pine for food. Really though, what should I expect next? Unfortunately I live in a 'development' called Meadow Lakes. It is beautiful with lots of waterways and lakes but also comes with a very persnickety HOA. HOA-home owner's association. Bit uppity with their rules, i.e., no pens etc. for animals lol. Couldn't even begin to imagine a few faces if they saw us erecting a pen...

Last edited:
I have 6 mallard duck eggs on lockdown and to begin with I'm so scared! There was a 7 day window of not knowing exactly what day(s) they were all in the nest but Mom was seen sitting on them one day and next morning it appeared an animal had attacked her and killed her. Purchased a Kebonnixs incubator. 4 days ago put them in lockdown after reading volumes here and decided to be safe vs. sorry as many folk mentioned a few extra days in lockdown are fine. Had temp set to 99.5 until this morning and humidity at 55% until the last couple of days when I raised to 70%. One egg has been rocking here and there for a couple of those days and this morning I heard a peeping but not much rocking. I adjusted the humidity up to 77% or so but then it went up to 80% quickly so I kept cracking the lid to bring it back down. Also lowered the temperature to 98.5 as recommended. After this I-think-I'm-going-to-be-sick and elevated heart rate in my chest I noticed one of the eggs had an external pip. Must have happened overnight. Have I done damage opening and closing the lid? I can induce a rocking motion on another egg that I don't see an internal pip on when I hit the menu button on top (must wake it up) but not much else. Please advise! Also, no movement from the external pip egg. I don't know if I should take the lid off to get the egg to check for trouble or not. If I should, what about the humidity and temp loss, even if temporary as in under 15 seconds? So appreciate any input and sunshine vibes your all's way... Tagging @WVduckchick as I see them recommended a lot here.
We rescued 5 mallard duck eggs because the mom got scared off from construction moving in. We are on Day 26 and all have pipped but one. I haven't heard any peeping. We are just playing the waiting game. Glad you have had success. Hoping we'll have some pics to share of cute ducks in a couple of days too.

As far as HOAs go, if anyone complains, just respond that they are rescue ducks. People seem to give you a pass if you are rescuing something.

We rescued 5 mallard duck eggs because the mom got scared off from construction moving in. We are on Day 26 and all have pipped but one. I haven't heard any peeping. We are just playing the waiting game. Glad you have had success. Hoping we'll have some pics to share of cute ducks in a couple of days too.

As far as HOAs go, if anyone complains, just respond that they are rescue ducks. People seem to give you a pass if you are rescuing something.
Just saw this! How's it going? Mine did not cheep cheep until the first was out and then he went and got the others moving along the hatch slide! Keep us posted, Mama!

Back
Top Bottom