Rescue duckling help please!!

Choleracoamic

Hatching
Jul 9, 2016

Hi I just rescued that duckling! He was getting atracked by other ducks and no mum around. He swam to me so I take him home.
I have never had a duck. What can I do! He looks really bad now. I've put him under a lamp and gave him some oat milk...
Advice please!!

Give him apple cider vinigar in his water, let him regain his strength, than give him a good size runner with shelter an a pool of clean water, fresh grass is another thing he'd love, also pick up some duckling feed, just some tips to get you started.

Give him apple cider vinigar in his water, let him regain his strength, than give him a good size runner with shelter an a pool of clean water, fresh grass is another thing he'd love, also pick up some duckling feed, just some tips to get you started.

Yes, but until he's feathered and old enough to take care of himself, you don't really want him running in the yard alone (or swimming for that matter). Ducklings are extremely vulnerable to predators and the weather. He can go outside in a sheltered, protected area on a nice day (once he's regained his strength), but remember that he has no mother to take care of him, so you should keep an eye on him.

I mentioned chick starter in the other post (I hadn't even seen this one yet), but if duckling feed is available, that's much better. (Personally, I can't get duck food, only chicken food, so it didn't even cross my mind.) If you have to use chicken food, I think you have to add extra niacin, but I'm not sure how long and how much.

we use starter grow for chick ... for the baby ducklings...
maybe get some nutri drench or poly vi sol without iron ... to give him some vitamins and a boost...

the duckling will get lonely.... add a stuffed animal to the bed... or blanket...or soft towel.
I'd put a radio on low... for noise...

cook up an egg... and break it up into itty bitty bites.....

Yes, but until he's feathered and old enough to take care of himself, you don't really want him running in the yard alone (or swimming for that matter). Ducklings are extremely vulnerable to predators and the weather. He can go outside in a sheltered, protected area on a nice day (once he's regained his strength), but remember that he has no mother to take care of him, so you should keep an eye on him.

I mentioned chick starter in the other post (I hadn't even seen this one yet), but if duckling feed is available, that's much better. (Personally, I can't get duck food, only chicken food, so it didn't even cross my mind.) If you have to use chicken food, I think you have to add extra niacin, but I'm not sure how long and how much.
Plain Niacin 125mgs crushed daily in 1 gal of water till 10 weeks old. or 1 Tablespoon of Nutritional yeast [human] to 1 cup of feed each day till 10 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom