Rescue ducklings (Niacin/riboflavin deficiency)

I am so frustrated/overwhelmed today. I feel like Smeagol is not showing any signs of improvement and I am not sure how to help her. I am really hoping these vitamins do something, but I am afraid she has a structural abnormality that will not work itself out...her one hip is higher than the other due to her back being crooked/twisted. When she tries to walk, she almost hops forward or scoots back, but any time she tries using one leg at a time she falls over on either side and can't right herself unless she finds something to prop up against. It doesn't look neurological, it looks structural but I can't tell for sure. I tried looking to see if she has a slipped tendon on one side of her hock but I also don't see anything/can't tell. I have tried the chick cup, and keep putting her in the cup and then taking her out. I tried a doughnut (towel) around her and that helps if she stays in it, but I don't know how to help her walk better. When she swims she does the same thing- she only paddles one leg at a time so she just swims on her side in circles. The poor thing. Anyone have any ideas? Really desperately hoping the vitamins help sort things out even just a little bit. :th:hit

You just have to keep trying. I remember @casportpony talking about curvature of the spine I believe ducks can get. [Scoliosis] But I have known people with it and even though if bad enough it can cause limping they live fine with it so hopefully your lil one can cope and compensate for her disability if it doesn't work it self out. She sounds like a real trooper. I have seen on you tube slings even wheel chair type things for ducks etc with disabilities so there is help if needed.

You just have to keep trying. I remember @casportpony talking about curvature of the spine I believe ducks can get. [Scoliosis] But I have known people with it and even though if bad enough it can cause limping they live fine with it so hopefully your lil one can cope and compensate for her disability if it doesn't work it self out. She sounds like a real trooper. I have seen on you tube slings even wheel chair type things for ducks etc with disabilities so there is help if needed.

Funny, I just had xrays of my spine because I have scoliosis and I told my SO, "Look babe, Smeagol and I are the same!" I have pain, but I do alright. I know how to help myself, I just think I'm feeling discouraged because I have no idea how to help duck scoliosis and I don't want to hurt her tiny little body. I will have to look at some more threads and youtube and hopefully I can find some more info!

Back
Top Bottom