Rescue ducklings (Niacin/riboflavin deficiency)

Pics
There's a video of little Smeagol. She wasn't trying to move around too much but when I help her back up, usually she over-corrects herself and falls down on the other side @casportpony

and here are a couple pictures of my Cayugas' feet. Not sure how well you can see it, so I circled it...their feet just look super dry. They eat a pretty healthy diet that I supplement with a variety of things, but maybe I should look into getting different feed? Would this be a lack of vitamin E maybe? These are both of my Cayugas, so two different feet.

IMG_E0293[1].JPG
IMG_E0294[1].JPG

It looks like an over growth of skin. [scales] I don't know if feed unless cheap stuff is being fed and I doubt that it is. I just think some ducks just get this. I have another Muscovy female who is 10 yrs old nor any of my others have this but my drake was probably around 8-9 yrs old when he got them. I figured all his running chasing other drakes really took it's toil on his feet.

It looks like an over growth of skin. [scales] I don't know if feed unless cheap stuff is being fed and I doubt that it is. I just think some ducks just get this. I have another Muscovy female who is 10 yrs old nor any of my others have this but my drake was probably around 8-9 yrs old when he got them. I figured all his running chasing other drakes really took it's toil on his feet.

That's what it looks like to me too. I will just monitor it and try to figure out how I can keep their feet more hydrated. They are going to be a year old in May, so they aren't old at all. It's like Winter just took a tole on their poor feet even though I tried to keep straw down so they didn't bang them up too much. The feed I give them is from a local mill so I figured it was fresh and it doesn't contain soy, which I liked. But maybe it isn't mixed right or doesn't have enough of something in it. I used to feed scratch and peck, which I loved, but it's so expensive for only 25lbs. Nobody sells it around me so I'd be buying a bag every two weeks. They won't sell bulk to individuals unfortunately :(

**Update** ducklings got their first dose of b complex. They would only take it mixed with food so that's what I had to do, but better than nothing. They ate all their food so I know they got a good dose. I will do this once a day and see how it goes!

Funny, I just had xrays of my spine because I have scoliosis and I told my SO, "Look babe, Smeagol and I are the same!" I have pain, but I do alright. I know how to help myself, I just think I'm feeling discouraged because I have no idea how to help duck scoliosis and I don't want to hurt her tiny little body. I will have to look at some more threads and youtube and hopefully I can find some more info!
Could you build something out of popsicle sticks to help straighten out her spine? I know they make back braces for people with really bad scoliosis. Maybe you could duplicate that at night while she’s sleeping. Or just see how she reacts to it. I’ll do some brainstorming.

Back
Top Bottom