Rescue hen has necrotic skin and vent gleet or peritonitis

This looks as if there is some feather plucking going on as well. Did you see another hen plucking their butts? This often causes injuries that get infected and pecked from her friends so I sprayed her with purple antiseptic spray and put her on antibiotics
This looks as if there is some feather plucking going on as well. Did you see another hen plucking their butts? This often causes injuries that get infected and sometimes necrotic.
Yes both hens were pecked from their friends but I put purple antiseptic spray on them and treated them with antibiotics. I also gave them daily baths. I can understand the necrosis but I’m more worried about the vent gleet or whatever is wrong with them

Yes both hens were pecked from their friends but I put purple antiseptic spray on them and treated them with antibiotics. I also gave them daily baths. I can understand the necrosis but I’m more worried about the vent gleet or whatever is wrong with them
Usually the feed for battery hens contains too much protein and salt, thus enabling the chickens high productivity.
As too much of both - salt and protein - will inevitably ruin their sensitive kidneys after some time, they will be exchanged quite early in their life for new ones. And sadly, the people that rescue those ex-battery hens are presented with the incurable consequences of this kind of industrial animal abuse.

Gosh that's so sad. Do you think she's in pain? She's acting completely find, runs a little shower than the other hens though. She won't run to me like the other hens unless she knows I 100% have treats but I think it's because she thinks I'll grab her to bathe her, she hates it. I'd hate to think she's suffering.

Do you think she's in pain?

With chickens it is often hard to tell because they hide it so well. But I would expect her to feel somewhat nauseous and weaker, as damaged kidneys will lead to symptoms of progressive poisoning, because the kidneys are no longer able to detox properly.

No I didn’t, I can’t find a hen vet anywhere so I didn’t think they would have any idea what was going on
Oh, I forgot you are in Ireland, so state labs might not exist like we have here.
I'd have cut open that bulge to see what was in there, as well as the rest of her organs.
But I regularly slaughter birds for food so know what the innards are supposed to look like.

With chickens it is often hard to tell because they hide it so well. But I would expect her to feel somewhat nauseous and weaker, as damaged kidneys will lead to symptoms of progressive poisoning, because the kidneys are no longer able to detox properly.
you're probably right as both my rescue hens had/have the same thing. My last hen was very miserable though so I had to make the call. Thanks for your help :)

Oh, I forgot you are in Ireland, so state labs might not exist like we have here.
I'd have cut open that bulge to see what was in there, as well as the rest of her organs.
But I regularly slaughter birds for food so know what the innards are supposed to look like.
I'm not sure if they do. I'm completely new to hens but I'm trying my best to learn. From looking at those photos, would you consider them to have prolapses? The top of their vent stick out a lot, my dead hen more so than my alive hen. I can't compare with my others as they are covered with feathers and its hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom