Rescue Hen with pale comb, found laid over

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
My Susan is a rescue from a meat farm, so I don't know how old she is. She was laying fine until about a month ago. I started getting soft eggs in the nest box and suspected it was one of the rescues and they were about to retire (I have her "sister" Suzette who stopped laying all together and is just the toughest old bird 😂).

Anyways about 3 days ago I noticed Susan's comb was pale and she was very slow eating. The other chickens pushed her out of the way. I moved her to a private pen and she ate and drank and messed with the grass a bit. She didn't roost last night and seemed so lonely, so I put her back in with the flock hoping she would perk up. She just wondered off, but doesn't seem to be in pain.

I was giving the chickens their evening scraps and noticed she didn't come with the horde, so I went looking. I found her sprawled out in the coop on her side. I thought she was dead. I picked her up and it must have "scared" her back to life. She pulled herself together in my arms and I brought her inside.

Felt her butt, it's covered in poop. Her abdomen is slightly smushy, so I don't think egg bound. She is soaking peacefully in a warm Epsom salt bath.

It's been hot and I gave her electrolytes yesterday and today, that didn't seem to help. I plan on giving some nutridrench and keeping her inside until this heat wave passes.

Any thoughts? Or is old age about to take her?

PS. Since I separated her, no more soft eggs, so I think she was laying those I mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_183824381.jpg
    IMG_20220521_183824381.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm so sorry Susan isn't feeling well. She's a beautiful hen 💜 You can give her a calcium citrate tablet just in case she has an egg that's not moving. In my personal opinion it's better to be safe. What's her poop looking like? Is her crop functioning (clear/flat in the morning before she's had food or water)

I'm so sorry Susan isn't feeling well. She's a beautiful hen 💜 You can give her a calcium citrate tablet just in case she has an egg that's not moving. In my personal opinion it's better to be safe. What's her poop looking like? Is her crop functioning (clear/flat in the morning before she's had food or water)
Her poo is really runny, no blood or colors. Her crop empties at night just fine. But She has not improved at all. She still just moves really slows, eats really slow, like in she is moving in slow motion. She walks fine and still pecks and scratches the grass, but will do it very slowly. Her comb is still pale and laid over. She doesn't feel thin. Her abdomen is still pretty mushy. I was reading about water belly, I might try to see if she has that going on. If not, maybe old age is getting her?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Give her 1 Calcium tablet a day for several days to see if she will push out an egg.
If she's a meat bird, she may be at the end of her life cycle since they are not bred to be long lived.

If there's fluid in the abdomen (Ascites) sometimes that can be drained to give short term, temporary relief. Ascites is a symptom, some common causes are organ failure and reproductive disorders.

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Give her 1 Calcium tablet a day for several days to see if she will push out an egg.
If she's a meat bird, she may be at the end of her life cycle since they are not bred to be long lived.

If there's fluid in the abdomen (Ascites) sometimes that can be drained to give short term, temporary relief. Ascites is a symptom, some common causes are organ failure and reproductive disorders.
Thanks! I gave her calcium after I posted. I'll give her more today.

She is a Sex Link (I am assuming), the farm I got her from uses them as meat birds, but they are retired layers. She was thin and really sad looking when I got her, she recovered and has been with me about 2 years. I would maybe put her age at about 3.5-4 yrs. I am not certain tho. I know older sex links can have alot of issues too from the overload of laying when they are younger

I sent Susan to heaven this evening. She was struggling to walk and stopped eating. I did a quick necropsy on her and found her belly was full of water and her intestines and gizzard were huge. She had continued to poo all over herself too. After seeing her insides, she was severely suffering, I am glad to have laid her to rest.

I sent Susan to heaven this evening. She was struggling to walk and stopped eating. I did a quick necropsy on her and found her belly was full of water and her intestines and gizzard were huge. She had continued to poo all over herself too. After seeing her insides, she was severely suffering, I am glad to have laid her to rest.
I'm sorry to hear about Susan:hugs

It's good that you were investigate further. Unfortunately, what you describe is often commonly seen in laying hens. Very sad indeed, but I agree, it was time. I've seen this in my own sweet hens. Never easy, but once you see it, you can start to recognize when it's time.

I Love the photos of Susan with your Son. Happy times to cherish. Thank you for sharing❤️

Back
Top Bottom