Rescue my Roosters Exposed to Mareks

save my rooster

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
I recently decided to raise chickens. I had one die of Marek;s disease after six weeks., Then another came down with it. I loved it and tried several kinds of medicines. It lived and is now six months old and unfortunately, has started crowing. He is a rooster. I cannot take him back to the feed store as he is obviously able to expose their chickens to Mareks. He is a barred rock/dominecker and his feet are slightly deformed from the disease. Other than that, he is good to go. I also have a very healthy four month old golden sex link rooster about to cockadoodledoo. I love my birds and I am hoping there is someone out there who can rescue them. I know it is a risk unless you already have chickens who have been exposed. I live in north Texas and roosters are not allowed. On top of that I have a neighbor who complains about stuff and he will not put up with this. If you have a farm and love these animals like I do and have chickens that have been exposed alreasy, please email me. Thanks, Anna

I am sorry that I cannot help.
hugs.gif
I am in the same predicament. One of my birds appears to have contracted ocular Mareks, but, since I show my birds (and a bird with strange looking eyes can't be shown), I can't keep her. I don't want to cull her, as she is perfectly healthy except for having small, irregularly shaped pupils that don't respond to light. However, I don't know why anyone would want a bird that could introduce Marek's to their flock.
sad.png
So, I don't know what to do with her; I think that I am going to end up just keeping her for her entire life.

I wish I could keep mine. Roosters are not allowed in the city I am in so I have to put him down or find someone who can take him and the other rooster I ended up with. They were supposed to be Hens. I love them and it is really hurting to know that there may be no alternative rather than culling them. Thanks for response, Anna

I agree with everything that you are saying. If my bird DOES have Marek's, I am responsible. If my bird has spread the disease to others, it is my fault. I am going to keep a very close eye on all of my other birds, including the one with strange eyes. I do not wish to cause any trouble. I know that I should cull the bird and get her tested, but I do not see sufficient reason to do so at this time. If she is perfectly healthy, and has simply banged her head on something, it would be wrong to kill her. This is my first year showing and selling birds, so, fortunately, not too many birds have been exposed to mine. I've only sold a couple birds, and do not plan on selling more for at least another six months. If any more of my birds show symptoms that could indicate Mareks, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. For now, I would like to observe my other birds, and see if they show any problems. Now, could you please drop this conversation with me? I understand what you have said, and regret what has happened. I would like to end this conversation, please.
I have another question...what exactly do you regret? "what has happened" is pretty vague...it could mean you regret telling a fib, telling the truth and not wanting to stop YOUR dreams, putting other people in danger of a horrible disease? which one is it?...what do you regret?

Back
Top Bottom