Rescued a duckling 3 days ago

Definitely get a heat lamp, it's going to need one until it's fully feathered to maintain body warmth. Make sure you are bedding him on something soft(like your towels or shavings) to prevent bumblefoot.
Raising a duck alone makes them really attached to you all the time. It's also pretty hard to keep ducks indoors because they poop A LOT. Especially adult ducks. Unless it's in a diaper (which would need to be changed every few hours) or in a special room designed for the duck I can't imagine it working out. Apparently people do it but be wary of smells! Feed it starter pellets, unmedicated. You can get it from a feed store.

Also ducks live about 12 years. Good luck!

edit: I forgot to mention that since he is crawling out you should get a screen to cover the top. I have use a window screen for this purpose.

Last edited:
thats an ancona duck. if you say it's getting feathers it's put it about 2 or 3 weeks..i just hatched some of them about 2 weeks ago and they're slightly smaller than yours. You can vent sex it but if you aren't experienced to know what to look for i'f just wait...you'll be able to tell when it starts to quack..arount 8 weeks or so. go to a feed store and get chick starter for him along with the lettuce and other stuff...he's a cutie!

I'm just wondering. Do you have feed stores in Korea, or in the part of Korea where you live?

You seem pretty proficient in English, do you read books in English? If so, you might want to get a copy of "Raising the Home Duck Flock" by Dave Holderread.

You could also post in the House Ducks thread, since that's the place where people who keep indoor ducks are most likely to see your posts and be able to help you out.

no you dont have fleas the duck is being friendly and wants you to get it food. ducks are good at eating and pooping

I live in a big city, so there are no feed stores nearby. Instead I use websites like eBay to get stuffs for my duckling.
I've found some Korean books about raising ducks, but they are for farmers who raise ducks in large flocks. Guess I need to get the book you recommended. Thanks.

Brought him(I'll just call it 'him') to school today. He puked when I got off the bus. Carsick, maybe?
Right after that he started pecking everything on the green, then he pooped everywhere.
It's Sunday, so only a few people were at school. We had a great time together.

Last edited:
So precious. Bless you for rescuing him and researching on his care. Hope it all works out.
love.gif

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I have only three hints to offer:
  1. Do not teach him to sit on your shoulder and give you "kisses" as a duckling. My wife did that with one once, and they continue to want to do it when they're full-grown. Funny to watch though.
  2. While it sounds as if it's to late, he will imprint on you. He will want to stay with you forever. You cannot take him down to a body of water and "set him free". He won't understand.
  3. He'll love going for swims in the bathtub. You'll have to watch him carefully until he's feathered out, but it's a lot of fun for both of you.

Other odds and ends; He's probably old enough that if you keep him at about 27 degrees Celsius for a couple of weeks he'll be fine. Whatever your feeding him now seems to be working. You might want to get some Niacin tablets and crush them up (I use a garlic press) and add it to his food. For grit, caged bird grit works.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

I got another duckling yesterday. At first they pecked each other's eyes and back but now they get along fine, except when they are eating or drinking.

Back
Top Bottom