Rescued a frizzle cochin with really bad feet! (PICS)

Thanks for that info chickenzoo I have been putting vetrx on her feet everyday since I got her and topped that off with vasoline. There are sooooo many layers there that it has taken awhile to get this far. I don't want her to get tooo stressed out so when she tells me she's had enough we stop for the day.

Sillystunt- Yep they sure did, the man of the house lifted her up to act like he was giving her a wellness inspection and I said *gasp* What the heck happened to her feet?! Keep in mind I went there thinking I was rescuing a half blind hen not WITH respiratory problems and feet like that. He responded with "Ahhh yeah she's just old and has a hitch in her giddy-up" It's really disturbing to think that I am sure there are others out there in possibly a worse state then she and the others were, people get too "lazy" or just plain don't give a you know what. I feel like if you are to that point then it's time to give up on raising poultry. What floors me the most is they were outright selling these chickens to alot of people not even batting an eye at the fact they were all sick!

Quote:
somad.gif

vetrx is really great stuff, will help but careful on open wounds. Might burn

Congrats on rescuing your little blk frizzle Cochin !! And her brood. Great job. It makes me feel really good to see how many people, like yourself, are out there ! Thank you for rescuing them !
I have a soft spot for Blk frizzles....I have one too....Juliette ! She's the sweetest. I have a splash Cochin too. Jazzy. She's just as sweet and nice as Juliette. Always looking to be picked up.
Treats are REAL BIG around here too ! They are sooo spoiled ! And I'm proud of it !
Thanks for being there for these poor neglected little kids.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Quote:
somad.gif

vetrx is really great stuff, will help but careful on open wounds. Might burn

The wound just happened when I pulled that chunk off today. I stuck to just neosporin on that leg. I agree I LOVE VetRx! Wonderful stuff!
big_smile.png

Thank you poultrypatch, I am thrilled to have them in my life
big_smile.png

When I first saw the pics I thought there was no hope for that ! Oh my! I was going to ask for an update though ....
in the after pics you posted I was SHOCKED to see such an amazing difference ! Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!
Hope you keep posting updates too ! It goes to show you what a little love and care can do !

D

Thanks Della, Sorry for the delayed update, I have been pretty busy lately. Prissy is doing very well and enjoying being thr one and only livingroom chicken. I have been continuing the foot soaks and got most of the big chunks off of her legs. She really loves her soaks and especially enjoys the blow dry after. I took a big chunk off the other leg last night resulting to the same open wound on the first leg so I slathered it in triple antiboitic ointment and wrapped it in gauze and vet wrap again. I will soak and rebandage in 2 days just like the first one. The one I worked on first has healed very well so I am pretty sure this one will too. I have a few minor chunks of gunk to pry from her toes but those are in a bit more of a sensetive area and I don't want to break her poor little toes. Then it will be on to the bumblefoot lumps on the tops of her toes. I wanted to take it slow with her because of her delicate state.

The others I had brought back from the same place had to be culled, the boy had infectious coryza and because the 3 pullest in with him were exposed they had to be culled too
sad.png
Prissy had not had the same symptoms as them and will forever remain a lone livingroom chicken. She went outside the other day for a brief moment to get those legs moving again. SHe stood there for a second and looked around and suddenly got this big burst of energy and actually ran about 1 foot or so and flapped her wings excitedly. Afterwords she enjoyed some mashed up apples in the kitchen while I was washing dishes and eventually wondered into the carpeted diningroom where she was actually scratching up the carpet, something I had never seen her do since she has been here. The time and effort I have invested in her was worth every second and I am sooo happpy to have her in my life. She truley is a wonderful little hen and really deserved the second chance. If I could go back i'd do it all over again
big_smile.png

WHen the DH gets home tonight I will add some updated photos of her feet to share wil ya'll
big_smile.png

Wow. I just read this thread for the first time and I wanted to tell you how awesome you are for helping them. Though the others didn't make it, at least they had a taste of what it's like to be cared for. I hope Prissy continues to improve and lives a long, happy, healthy, pampered life! You rule!

Thank you Rachel
big_smile.png
I hope she lives a long healthy life as well. Altho the first 4 years of her life were a nightmare, the rest of her hopefully years to come will be fabulous.

I just read this, and I have to say that once you get her back into shape she's gonna be beautiful. I often wonder how people can have such lovely animals ( and probably spend a pretty penny to get them originally ) and then let them go to Heck like that - poor girl. Best of luck with her - you are doing a great job already, her feet look tons better!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom