Rescued a very neglected Indian Runner.. need advice pls

Sounds like a niacin deficiency. I would go pick up some Durvet B complex from tractor supply and dose her 1 ml daily.
Goodness. I didn’t realize an older duck could all of a sudden develop a Niacin deficiency- I thought it was something you treated when they were young! Well shoot. I can do that! I’ll go back to brewers yeast in the pellets every day.

Thank you for the response.

Goodness. I didn’t realize an older duck could all of a sudden develop a Niacin deficiency- I thought it was something you treated when they were young! Well shoot. I can do that! I’ll go back to brewers yeast in the pellets every day.

Thank you for the response.
Niacin deficiencies can happen at any age, but ducklings are more prone along with ducks that have not had proper nutrition especially as ducklings.

Poor thin little girl: I'm so glad you took her in and are caring for her.

The reluctance to stand/ walk and preference for stsying in the coop where she doesnt need to move arund is certainly suggestive of niacin deficiency. Do use Durvet high level Vit B complex, 1ml a day until she is running around normally. Adding brewers yeast to the feed is a maintenance supplement, but the treatment for deficiency is high level Vit B complex.

Poor thin little girl: I'm so glad you took her in and are caring for her.

The reluctance to stand/ walk and preference for stsying in the coop where she doesnt need to move arund is certainly suggestive of niacin deficiency. Do use Durvet high level Vit B complex, 1ml a day until she is running around normally. Adding brewers yeast to the feed is a maintenance supplement, but the treatment for deficiency is high level Vit B complex.
Oooh ok. I also have Vit B complex in liquid form.

Question. How do I ensure she gets it? She doesn’t drink from the water buckets (fresh twice a day). She only drinks from the pool when swimming or the fountain ….

Must I separate her? I feel that will stress her out.

Yes she is so very tiny. I actually had to rehome a male duck (he was my absolute favourite. But I couldn’t stand her going to another home and my not knowing if she would be cared for well. She’s been through a lot.. ) but he was huge and she loved him. I didn’t want her getting injured when he tried to mate her…. She is itsy bitsy. 💗

Oooh ok. I also have Vit B complex in liquid form.

Question. How do I ensure she gets it? She doesn’t drink from the water buckets (fresh twice a day). She only drinks from the pool when swimming or the fountain ….

Must I separate her? I feel that will stress her out.

Yes she is so very tiny. I actually had to rehome a male duck (he was my absolute favourite. But I couldn’t stand her going to another home and my not knowing if she would be cared for well. She’s been through a lot.. ) but he was huge and she loved him. I didn’t want her getting injured when he tried to mate her…. She is itsy bitsy. 💗
Soak 1ml of durvet into a treat and watch her eat it every morning!

I rescue ducks -- mainly abandoned domestic drakes and feral muscovy ducklings that get waterlogged and separated from their mama. I got two juvenile pekins from under a truck in a light industrial estate at the beginning of April. They were in a very sorry state: thin hungry very dehydrated and signs they had been abused before dumping. They did not know they lije peas and mealworms, poor boys. It took a full month of quarantine to get them looking fatter and eating normally.

They had had their wings very cruelly and unnecessarily clipped. One molted and got new flight feathers in June and is now a handsome adult drake. The other is only now molting and getting new feathers: he should also be a handsome boy in about another week!!

They are very tightly bonded but have recently become friendly with one of my muscovy drakes. They are now going round as a threesome which is nice as the muscovy had been a loaner for most of this year. He had been part of a threesome with another muscovy drake and a very bossy pekin, but started fighting with the muscovy when their drake hormones started rising in January.

It is certainly rewarding rescuing such ducks and bringing them back to being happy healthy ducks.

Soak 1ml of durvet into a treat and watch her eat it every morning!

I rescue ducks -- mainly abandoned domestic drakes and feral muscovy ducklings that get waterlogged and separated from their mama. I got two juvenile pekins from under a truck in a light industrial estate at the beginning of April. They were in a very sorry state: thin hungry very dehydrated and signs they had been abused before dumping. They did not know they lije peas and mealworms, poor boys. It took a full month of quarantine to get them looking fatter and eating normally.

They had had their wings very cruelly and unnecessarily clipped. One molted and got new flight feathers in June and is now a handsome adult drake. The other is only now molting and getting new feathers: he should also be a handsome boy in about another week!!

They are very tightly bonded but have recently become friendly with one of my muscovy drakes. They are now going round as a threesome which is nice as the muscovy had been a loaner for most of this year. He had been part of a threesome with another muscovy drake and a very bossy pekin, but started fighting with the muscovy when their drake hormones started rising in January.

It is certainly rewarding rescuing such ducks and bringing them back to being happy healthy ducks.
Thank u for sharing!! 😀 and doing all the rescues that you do.

Well. I tried my best. Put the vitamins on peas, pellets etc. she will not touch any of it. 😀 a bit suspicious of everything, that one. Ha.

I decided it was for her own good so I scooped her up last night and used the dropper to put the meds right down her throat. I’ll do it for a few days and see if there is any improvement. I love that little duck. I just want her to be healthy and have a great, long, happy life. Hoping this works. And I suppose I’ll go back to brewers yeast in their pellets. …… does it need to be daily?

Thank you everyone for your help. I felt horrible not realizing it was a Niacin deficiency… I was so careful with my ducklings when raising them. I never knew the older ducks could be affected. I’ll do my best now to get her healed up. 💗

Back
Top Bottom